add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Louisville Area Canoe & Kayak Group Message Board Trip Reports › Deam Lake - Various dates

Deam Lake - Various dates

Thom M.
New Albany, IN
Post #: 45
Decided to hit Deam Lake for a quick paddle to burn off a few turkey calories and get away from everything for a bit.

Weather was great temperature-wise.. a bit windy though! Hadn't seen Deam Lake before with little whitecaps and rolling waves out in the middle. Sheltered areas were quite peaceful and calm.

Learned to stroke with my paddle feathered. Amazing how it makes a difference in the wind and just takes a bit of wrist flexion to twist the paddle face for the best "bite" in the water.

Like my time out on the Ohio River in windy conditions, I once again lamented not having a spray skirt. Between the wind and plowing into the waves, being skirtless meant I had to paddle more slowly or risk getting soaked by the spray. (Hint, hint wife.. if you're reading this)

As I was getting ready to leave, ran into a fellow in a full wetsuit prepping to hit the water for some rolling practice in his whitewater kayak. Almost stuck around to watch but had to be somewhere.

All in all, a great time!

Jim K
user 9599326
Louisville, KY
Post #: 545
One of the most fun gatherings with LACK that I have had was at Deam Lake.
They had picnic tables lined up and piled with food.
Some had taken campsites along the shore 3 abreast and we used them as a base camp when trying out each other's boats.
That was some fun...
Good that you had a nice day there!
Might be a nice place for a crowd campout/paddle in the cold times.

Thom M.
New Albany, IN
Post #: 69
12/24/2012 -- this afternoon was too nice to NOT hit the water for a quick paddle. Temp was in the mid 50's and the warm sunshine felt perfect. Water temp was cold, but I tend to stick to the shoreline predominantly so not a huge factor given the calm conditions.

Last couple times I've been out I've usually had the lake to myself. Same today.

Saw a big flock of sandhill cranes fly overhead and circle for quite a while gaining altitude before moving on. A short time later I suprised a bald eagle from its perch on a high tree limb and watched it circle around the lake a few times before winging away. I hear that there are lots of eagles now that roost/overwinter near river locks and feed on stunned fish coming out of the sluice gates ( if that's what they are called). I've seen an eagle at Deam now twice.