Louisville Area Canoe & Kayak Group Message Board Gear & Accessories › Kayak camping...size, number of drybags

Kayak camping...size, number of drybags

Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 32
Read a few articles on packing a kayak for camping....interested in hearing from actual campers. How many, and what size dry bags (especially the medium to large size) do you use, and what do keep outside of dry bags? Have a Chatham 17, so not a ton of space, especially in the rear, compared to some.
bruce s.
user 11946351
Louisville, KY
Post #: 24
As many SMALL dry bags as possible, with heaviest items low, and towards middle of the boat......preferably nylon bags which slide easily against each other....whatever you do, don't get those clear PVC ones...almost impossible to pack. Dry bag everything you absolutely don't want to get wet and improvise the rest....do a couple practice runs packing....beforehand.
Nathan G.
ShrekFirefighter
Floyds Knobs, IN
Post #: 291
I second everything said above. This is how I pack..... Works perfect.
Don P.
user 13711758
Nicholasville, KY
Post #: 33
Does 2 to 3 20L, about the right number/size of larger ones, then some smaller ones? Will definitely try ahead of time, but need to buy some extras first. Tent in dry bags, not poles & stakes? Sleeping pad in or out?
Nathan G.
ShrekFirefighter
Floyds Knobs, IN
Post #: 292
My pad, tent, and other hardware is all out. All of my clothes, layers, and stuff that cant get wet is in em. I use 5L 10L and 15L bags for everything. My sleeping bag is around 18L
Greg M.
user 8291008
Jeffersonville, IN
Post #: 808
The only thing I put in dry bags are: tent, sleeping bag/blanket, pillow. And clothes if I'm taking them.

I have a tapered dry bag for my tent that slides up into the nose of my boat. I got rid of the bag it originally came in, and the poles slide easily in next to the tent. In warm weather, I usually leave the sleeping bag behind and take a light blanket.
Greg M.
user 8291008
Jeffersonville, IN
Post #: 809
Also think about tiny things you can put all the way up in the nose/rear of the boat, they usually end up as wasted space if you don't. I generally put water bottles and camping meals up there.
Jim K
user 9599326
Louisville, KY
Post #: 592
That's good advice about small things in the pointy ends. I start with energy bars, cans of tuna, small bottles of water, folded up bags of Kerr's pasta, (high carbs!), and work up to bigger items. Was a happy person to be told about rolling up the sleep pad, putting it in the boat, letting it unroll to it's fullest, and then filling the open area in the middle with more stuff,... and also putting the dry bag for the sleeping bag in the boat and then stuffing the bag in afterwards. I only use dry bags for clothes and water sensitive things. I've grown fond of the 2 1/2 gal. hefty bags and others found at Family Dollar / Dollar Store for other things.
Bob R.
user 11296213
Frankfort, KY
Post #: 92
I put the grill in jeans boat and the cooler in mine, if you were wondering!
Paul R
user 5359312
Louisville, KY
Post #: 45
I always count on JimK to pack a blivet in one of his water tight compartments. That way, I have plenty of room for other gear in my short boat.