Louisville Area Canoe & Kayak Group Message Board Gear & Accessories › Kayaklog app & kayaklog.net

Kayaklog app & kayaklog.net

Thom M.
New Albany, IN
Post #: 81
On a recent paddle at Deam Lake I started wondering how fast I was able to paddle at a sustained rate. I whipped out my trusty iPhone and started looking for a paddling app that might use the internal GPS or accelerometer to let me see how fast I was going. I found an app called Kayaklog.

The app uses your phone's GPS, etc to plot your course on a map, logs the weather, average wind speed/direction (from local area weather data) paddling speed, photos, and other info which can then be uploaded to the website kayaklog.net for others to view if you want. It serves as a log of all your paddling adventures. The free app allows saving three logs a month. For about $20 a year, you can save unlimited logs and turn on some sort of feature that seems to allow others to track your progressin real time. That feature intrigued me, especially with thoughts of doing the Louisville 50 in October as a way for my wife to keep track of me when I'm out on the river or lakes paddling.
D. T.
user 13110196
Louisville, KY
Post #: 1
Thanks for the information. I actually have Sports Tracker app on my iphone. I use it for all my physical activities, hikes, cycling, workouts, etc. The app was free to download and use , but I did have to spend money to purchase a heart monitor which functions with the app. It doesn't incorporate the weather as you mentioned above. It does have the ability to store your exercises, has a GPS feature (really nice when cycling), and will allow you to connect/share/communicate with friends via Facebook and other social media. But since I'm not on any social media I'm not familiar with functionality. Hope helps.