addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Louisville Area Canoe & Kayak Group Message Board Main Forum › Island just N of McAlpine locks

Island just N of McAlpine locks

Thom M.
T.McLean
New Albany, IN
Post #: 83
I have always wondered whether it is "okay" to paddle around/between the island beside the McAlpine locks and the locks themselves. I've paddled along the Indiana side of the island up to the broken low head dam, but have never gone around to the other side. I have seen fishing boats go that way to fish below the falls/sluice gates. Generally, I paddle from the New Albany ramp up to the low head dam and turn around (unless the river is higher and the dam is underwater) in which case I can get up to the Clarksville ramp. If you can paddle the Kentucky side of the island, it looks like a way to go around the low head dam when the water is low and slow.