I've been swamped with many different tasks for a past few weeks, but I just wanted to announce future meetups plans that I've been working on, and although I need to finalize details, I just wanted to let you know what kind of events are coming in the near future.
1. French cooking classes
1) General lessons for everyone including novice cooks
As you know I was very disappointed that the chef had an emergency, but i got this idea instead...
Judging from the RSVPs, french cooking seems to be our main interest and many of us want to learn. So instead of having just one class, I wanted to do that in a series of classes throughout the year.
I have contacted several chefs, but the main problem with everyone is schedule conflicts. So I asked our own members who are professional chefs themselves, and yes, they also have busy schedules, but they are more motivated because they belong to the group!! Thank you so much! So I think I'll be able to announce our first class later soon. And if you would like to be on our instructors team(sounds good, huh?!), please feel free to contact me.
(1) French Food 101 - very basic
(2) How to select good ingredients
(3) How to use and buy your tool of trade...utensils, appliances, and other useful tools
(4) How to plan a menu and cook efficiently doing multitasks
(5) How to follow, improve, and create your own recipes
(6) Regional cooking - Southen French, Northern French, Vietnamese French, Cajun, Nouvelle Cuisine, Californian French, French Japonais, etc.
(7) Pastry, like partir du sucre, gateaux au chocolat et gateaux sans beurre.... can they be healthier?!
(8) History of French cooking: What Catherine de' Medici brought to Henry and France, etc.
(9) Food preparation - safety 101
(10) How to set up a nice table and entertain your crowd
(11) How to showcase your food - Food presentation, arrangement, photo shoots
(12) French tea..
These are my ideas but if you could give me your ideas and requests, it would be more fun!
[About donated ingredients.]
I have told everyone that I'm going to give the donated ingredients from sponsors to the members who RSVPed Yes to the scheduled meetup. But I realized that some people had already dropped Yes RSVP because I wasn't able to post the location, and then after my announcement of giving away food, those spots were filled and I thought it's not really fair to the people who originally RSVPed and people who wanted to come, but unable to do that because it's already full.
So, I decided not to give out ingredients but I'll use them for the next classes.
Sorry for the confusion, but hope you understand my desire to be fair to each and every member and I thank you for that.
2) French cooking class for intermediate/advanced cooks
Another thing is that I made friends with the owner of this very good Japanese restaurant called "Bar Hayama" on Sawtelle Blvd. They are featured on an internet food program, and ranked 41, ahead of Matsuhisa(!) in the latest issue of Los Angeles food magazine. Toshi, the owner chef is the one who opened a California Sushi academy the very first time in 1999 in Venice. He's so nice, always wanting to help people understand food, and share the love of food. I'll post my photos taken with him later.
Not only they have good sushi and a bar, and very relaxed & romantic outside open hearth, one of the chefs is a noted French chef and they granted my request to teach us professional French cooking using their kitchen!
Through the questionnaire I previously sent to the members who RSVPed to find out what we want to learn about French cooking, I discovered the main interest is still on sauce.
And I also told you about the newsletter I created and posted on the File section. I put their information and the picture taken. The yellow sauce over asparagus and white fish was so out-of-this-worldly! (I like Paula Deen...
) So we are going to have a meetup to learn professional cooking to find out what makes a professional chef different than us amateur cooks. And as this is aimed for more experienced cooks, and they use fine ingredients, the fee would be higher than normal meetups.
And many more to come.. Please read on.