addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

LA Cooking and Dining Meetup Group Message Board L.A. Cooking, Recipes, Dining (and French) Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Holiday Gathering Meetup Recipes (2) - Ming's North African Boulettes, Patri

Holiday Gathering Meetup Recipes (2) - Ming's North African Boulettes, Patricia's Uruguayan Empanada and Martha's Chocolate Cappuccino Cheesecake. They were all YUMMY!!))

Sally
user 4742768
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA

http://www.meetup.com...­

Hi everyone,

Hope you're doing fine.  I'm so guilty of not responding to many emails... getting worse every year...  sorry....  OK, here's the second of recipes of the food served at the Holiday gathering meetup at Eve's... yes, it was already last year... already a month ago...

The first ones were Manoj's Panner Tikka Recipe and Martha's Dill, Feta & Garlic Spread by Martha. See below:

http://www.meetup.com/LACooking/messages/boards/thread/29958682­

Now, let me present you....Ming's North African Meatballs, Patricia's Uruguayan Empanada, and Martha's Chocolate Cappuccino Cheesecake.  They were all so tasty I'm drooling again now, just thinking about them!lol

Thank you sooooo much, ladies!!))

Hope to have another potluck soon!

Enjoy, and if you try the recipe, send me your photos~~~  Thanks.  Now go to sleep and have a tasty dream! 

Sally

**************************************­******************************

North African Meatballs (Boulettes) Braised in Saffron Tomato Sauce by Ming

12/16/2012, Eves' House

Adapted from David Tanis

Time: 1 hour and 15 min
Yield: 4 to 6 servings as entree (more as appetizers), about 36 meatballs (I found I can make about 50 meatballs)

optional: can also serve with rice or egg noodles

SAFFRON TOMATO SAUCE
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 and 1/2 cups finely diced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 inch piece cinnamon stick
Large pinch saffron, crumbled
Salt and pepperd
3 cups chicken broth, vegetable broth or water

MEATBALLS
1 and 1/2 cups cubed day-old firm white bread
1 cup milk
1 pound ground beef or lamb or a mix of both
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons finely chopped scallion
All-purpose flour, for dusting
Olive oil or vegetable oil

Sauce:

1. Heat oil over medium-high heat

2. Add onion, cook till softened, without browning, 5 min

3. Add Garlic, tomato paste, cinnamon and saffron, stir well

4. Season with salt and pepper, sizzle 1 min

5. Add broth and simmer 5 min

Note: sauce can be prepared in advance, up to a day.

Meatballs:

1. Soften bread cubes with milk, 5 min, then squeeze to dry

2. Mix softened bread, groud meat and egg

3. Add salt, pepper, garlic, nutmeg, ginger, turmeric, paprika, cayenne, cloves, coriander, and cumin, mixx well

4. Add parsley, cilantro, and scallion (2 tbsp each), knead for 1 min

(Note: meatballs can be prepared up to this point in advance, up to a day.)

5. Roll mixture into small balls about the size of a quarter

6. Dust lightly with flour

7. heat few tbsp of oil (quarter-inch depth in saucepan), medium-high heat, fry meatballs till barely brown, 2 min a side

8. Drain and blot on paper towel

9. Simmer in Sauce, covered, medium-high heat, 20 min or till tender

**************************************­**************

URUGUAYAN EMPANADAS DE CARNE by Patricia

Mix in a large saucepan:

· ¼ cup to ½ cup of olive oil with 2 cups of chopped onions and 2 tsp. of minced garlic.

· Add 1 cup of diced red peppers and cook uncovered until they are soft.

· Increase heat and add 2 cups of minced meat and mix with wooden spoon for 7-8 minutes until meat is brown on the outside but still pink in the center, do not cook completely because it will be overdone.

Remove from saucepan and add:

· ¼ cup raisins, 1 boiled egg chopped, ¼ cup green olives.

· Season with 2 tsp. of salt, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. of Hungarian Paprika and 2 tsp. oregano.

· Let the filling rest and separate the disks of dough, place 1 tbsp. of filling in the center and dip a finger in water (have it in a cup) and “paint” half of the pastry following the edge of it, fold in half and press with a fork to seal.

Preheat oven at 450 F for 10 min. Spray a cooking sheet with non-stick spray or olive oil.

· Place empanadas in the sheet and bake for 15 min or until golden.

· You can also brush them with 1 beaten egg and sprinkle some sugar on top 5 minutes before they are ready.

Buen Provecho!

Patricia

**************************************­*********************************

CHOCOLATE CAPPUCCINO CHEESECAKE by Martha

Okay, for all those that wanted the recipe here it is! BTW, I was in No. Calif and found the Nabisco Chocolate Wafer cookies at a Safeway. If any of you find them in LA, please let me know. I could not find them at either Ralphs or Bristol Farms and resorted to buying Oreos and scraping the white stuff off and only using the cookie part. It worked!

Martha

CHOCOLATE CAPPUCCINO CHEESECAKE
Velvety smooth, sinfully rich – a chocolate cheesecake flavored with espresso and coffee liqueur. Baked in a crisp cookie crust – this delightful cheesecake is a sure-fire sweet finale to any dinner party.

Preparation time: 30 min. Plan to do it the day before as it has to be chilled for 12 hours.
Baking time: 45 min.
Oven Temperature: 350 degrees F

CRUST:
1 Pkg Chocolate-wafer cookies.
1/2 cup softened butter
4 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 Tsp. cinnamon

Grind cookies into crumbs (food processor, blender or put in large zip-lock and whack it with your rolling pin)
Combine with all other ingredients. Butter sides and bottom of 9: springform pan. Press crumb mixture into pan.

CHEESECAKE:
3 8 oz pkgs cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
8 1-oz squares semi-sweet chocolate
2 Tbsp whipping cream
1 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp instant espresso coffee (dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water)
1/4 cup coffee liqueur (e.g. Kahlua)
2 Tsp vanilla extract

1. Beat room-temperature cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar gradually, mixing well until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat at low speed until very smooth.
2. Melt chocolate with whipping cream over boiling water. Stir until smooth. Add to cheese mixture, blending well.
3. Add sour cream, salt, coffee, liqueur, vanilla. Beat until smooth.
4. Turn into prepared pan and bake in center of preheated oven for 45 mins. Or until sides are puffed (may take longer than the 45 mins). Center will be soft, but will firm up when chilled. Turn oven off, leave door ajar. Allow cake to cool in oven for 45 mins. Chill land refrigerate for 12 hours. Remove sides of pan.

TOPPING
The recipe calls for whipped topping decorated with Chocolate leaves. I've done this when I serve it at home, but if taking it to another site, I usually just limit the topping to chocolate curls, that can be made with dark, white and/or milk chocolate.

Here's the original topping recipe:

CHOCOLATE LEAVES
Melt 1 oz. Chocolate, brush real (non toxic) leaves. (I usually use Camellia leaves) Freeze until firm. Gently peel off leaves. Freeze until needed. Note: somewhat fragile, so be careful how you store.

WHIPPED TOPPING:
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
2 Tbsp coffee liqueur
Whip cream and flavor with sugar and liqueur. Garnish with cream and chocolate leaves.