Welcome to the Los Angeles Film & TV Meetup (LAFTV) - a Community-Funded Group!
Voted: One of "11 Ways to Meet Filmmakers Across the U.S." By KC Wright, Backstage | Posted March 3, 2015
- We bring you the BEST educational, networking & career-enhancing events/opportunities as well as advance movie screenings, with sometimes 20++ events and opportunities to "Meetup" a month -
WE HAVE A LOT OF POLICIES AND GUIDELINES, BUT THAT'S WHAT MAKES LAFTV SUCH A GREAT, ORGANIZED, FUN GROUP!
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING THOROUGHLY BEFORE REQUESTING TO JOIN LAFTV:
Our goal is to connect like-minded Film, TV and New Media working and emerging professionals, as well as supporters, through our numerous FREE and PAID events, activities and opportunities.
We are PRIMARILY about NETWORKING, COLLABORATION, EDUCATIONAL and CAREER ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITIES & MEETUPS, while establishing friendships in the process.
PLEASE DO NOT REQUEST MEMBERSHIP IN THIS GROUP:
1. IF you do not work, or are not ACTIVELY pursuing a career, in the entertainment industry:- While we do support SERIOUS “newbies,” we specifically do NOT want “flakes” in this group.
2. IF you are ONLY looking for free events:- Members are expected to support some of the paid “OFFICIAL” networking and career-enhancing programs of the group, where members actually “Meetup.”
3. IF you are ONLY looking for movie screenings:- While we provide many free advance screenings of top studio movies, we are NOT A SCREENING GROUP. Our screenings are a PERK for active members. New members who have attended 3 free screenings without attending a paid official event will not be allowed to attend any more screenings, and may be removed from the group.
4. IF you are into fighting and creating drama with other members:- We promote a supportive and nurturing environment, where members respect each other.
5. IF you DO NOT CHECK YOUR EMAILS OFTEN:- We are a VERY active group and you will miss out on great events and opportunities if you do not check the email address associated with your Meetup account.
6. IF you are "high maintenance," feel "self-entitled" or DO NOT LIKE TO READ DETAILS OR FOLLOW RSVP GUIDELINES:- We provide SPECIFIC, DETAILED information pertaining to our “official” organizer events and expect members to be responsible for their RSVPs WITHOUT emailing the Organizer with questions that are already answered in the event details. (Everyone is WAITLISTED for Organizer events and members who do not adhere to RSVP guidelines will not be confirmed to attend these events.)
THIS IS A VERY ORGANIZED GROUP, which is tremendously time-consuming to manage so we LOVE the members who take time to understand how the group works and effectively manage their LAFTV membership. ONCE APPROVED FOR MEMBERSHIP IN LAFTV, PLEASE READ: http://www.meetup.com/LAFilm-TV-Meetup-LAFTV/pages/HOW_TO_GET_THE_BEST_OUT_OF_YOUR_LAFTV_MEMBERSHIP/
SOME OF OUR PROGRAMS:
Our “LET’S DO LUNCH,” "WRITERS INTENSIVE" low-cost seminars and the award-winning HOLLYWOOD NETWORKING BREAKFAST® are VERY popular, monthly networking and educational "Meetups."
Our annual picnic, networking events, career-enhancing workshops and seminars, mixers, comedy events, and a host of other activities also keep LAFTV members active and busy. Most of the events on this Meetup are produced by the Organizer of this group, but many members organize events as well.
SUGGESTING YOUR OWN EVENT AS A MEETUP:
We encourage members to organize their own Meetup events to share with the group. To promote an event, members must use the “Suggest A Meetup” feature on the home page. Please put in ALL the details requested on the form -- DO NOT JUST PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR EVENT. IN THE INTEREST OF “FULL DISCLOSURE,” YOU MUST STATE, IN YOUR EVENT DETAILS POSTED ON OUR SITE, IF IT IS A FREE EVENT OR IF THERE IS A FEE. YOU MUST ALSO LIST THE AMOUNT OF ANY ADMISSION FEES IN THE EVENT DETAILS. If Your “suggested meetup” is something that would benefit our members, we will approve it and send to the entire membership.
PLEASE NOTE: Members may submit to promote an event on this site, but ONLY AFTER HAVING BEEN A MEMBER FOR ONE MONTH OR MORE. We do not want "fly-by-night" memberships whose sole interest is to take advantage of our group and have no vested interest in the continued development of LAFTV. Those who wish to promote "paid" opportunities to our members need to be contributing to the community fund of our group. See info below.
We are a community-funded group. There is a NON-REFUNDABLE annual membership fee of $15 to support the group’s continued success and help defray costs (averages $1.25 a month).
We look forward to your active participation. See you soon at a Meetup and be sure to come up and say "Hi!" :-)
Sandra Lord, Organizer
Los Angeles Film & TV Meetup (LAFTV)