From the Money Out/Voters In Coalition:
"At the peak of this election season, we’re seeing the impact of the recent Supreme Court Citizens United decision as unprecedented amounts of money are being thrown into our electoral process by wealthy individuals and corporations, clearly with an agenda that benefits them and not We the People."
"Recognizing this serious threat to our democracy, MoveOn.org has teamed up with:
* California Common Cause
* California Clean Money Campaign
* LA American Constitution Society
* Move to Amend LA
* Occupy Wall Street
* UCLA Public Interest Programs
* 99 Rise
* Fix Our America
to form the MONEY OUT/VOTERS IN COALITION."
"On Saturday, November 17, 2012, MOVI will be presenting, and the UCLA Public Interest Programs will be hosting, A 28th AMENDMENT CONFERENCE: THE LEGAL ISSUES, REMEDIES & STRATEGIES TO GET THE MONEY OUT OF POLITICS. The keynote speaker will be Lawrence Lessig, Professor of Law at Harvard Law School."
"Join us as some of the leading minds around the country discuss Constitutional and legislative solutions as well as action plans to get money out of politics. And participants discuss and decide what principles they believe should anchor the get money out of politics movement and how to move forward."
Here’s what’s on the program:
* Historical Overview
* The Consequences of Amending the U.S. Constitution: What Happens to the Rights of Corporations, Nonprofits, and People in Associations
* Legislative v. Constitutional Remedies: The Potential and Limits of Legislative Solutions
* Understanding the Principles and Rationale Behind Different Approaches to Amending the Constitution
Here’s the link to our WEBSITE, WHERE YOU CAN see the full program and REGISTER for what promises to be a very informative event:
"BE PART OF THE DISCUSSION! BE PART OF THE SOLUTION!"
Where: UCLA Law School
Tickets: $30 with lunch. Free admission for UCLA Law students, faculty and staff. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.
Register at http://www.moneyoutvotersin.org