addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

LA Robotics Club Message Board › Power To The People (and the breadboards, etc.)

Power To The People (and the breadboards, etc.)

Annika O.
AnnikaSkywalker
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 12
For most micro-controller projects (like Arduino) there is a great need for 5 volts of power. An easy beginner project is powering a bread board with 5v power. I bought a few kits from www.circuitcreations.com that aren't very expensive.

I would like everyone in the club to have some knowledge of electricity and soldering skills so this is a great intro project. I have also looked around the internet for cheap components that go into making a similar kit from scratch and have purchased potentiometers, capacitors, transistors, resistors, etc. So far, I estimate that if you scrounge around, the project can cost you anywhere from $8-17 depending on how nice you want to make this. If you are planning to make 50+, then you could probably get a bulk discount on shipping. The project I am doing is going to cost me $12 in parts because I'm going with quality components.

Anyone interested in pricing these parts themselves? I can make a list of everything I've bought so far if anyone is interested in bringing stuff with them to one of the Saturday build Meet-ups at El Camino. If you'd like to buy some of the parts off me, I could bring extras. Also, if you have any bits and pieces lying around you'd like to salvage for this, feel free to do so. The protoboards are about $2 at Radio Shack but if you can cut them so they're the right size for one power supply, you get 4 from one package.

Let me know your thoughts. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Miles G.
user 14499625
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Hey Annika-

I'm new to the group, but this 5V build meetup sounds great. Do you have a schematic I could take a look at beforehand?

I'd be interested in trying my hand at making a few custom PCBs for this project. No protoboards or breadboards, just a clean custom PCB =]...I just perfected my method, and now I'm looking for excuses to make them.