LA Robotics Club Message Board › High School Robotics Team needs mentors!

High School Robotics Team needs mentors!

A former member
Post #: 1
I am a high school teacher at Sun Valley High School in the San Fernando Valley. We are starting a robotics class in August with 30-40 very enthusiastic seniors who will be entering FTC, VEX and MUC robotics competitions. We certainly could use some help from the Robotics community. These students have been hand picked for the class and are willing to put in the time and effort to succeed. In the best of all worlds, I would have mentors for individual sub-teams i.e. Mechanics, Electronics, Programming etc. that would be able to spend a couple of hours a week with some "elbow time". This is an opportunity to have a big impact on the lives of young people.
Charles
user 13611753
Marina del Rey, CA
Post #: 11

Hello, I'm looking for high school students to build a solar powered unmanned airplane to fly from California to Hawaii. But I believe the best way to work with students is to make it a 2 or 3 year project. More time allows working with sponsors to help make the project work to not spend $3,000.00 or more. At one time rejected solar cells for satellites sold for $10K. Panels not rejected that make it to space cost more like $100K each.

My goal is to work with a team of students so the team gets tuition free scholarships to one or more university. This may save some students $100K to $200K depending on what degree they want to earn.

When I start building full size replica static displays and flying replica aircraft for museums I may want one or more high school class to assemble one or more static or flying replica. This can lead to a full time job assembling replica kits someday. An early project may be a Pilatus P-3 aerobatic trainer sold to many nations for basic trainers. I believe selling 30-100 a year that fly will fund building many full size static replicas used in museums. This will be mostly screwing bolts or screws to attach parts together.

If high school students start designing how static display replicas are assembled it may lead to a full time job for 3-7 students and paid training to become airplane mechanics or aerospace engineers. And over time may grow to hire 10-15 mechanics that start as technicians.

Other projects may include a P-51 Mustang static & flying replicas. A Northrop F-5B two seat fighter trainer a F-18 USN jet and Lindberg's Ryan that crossed the Atlantic.

Over time there will be more projects that need too much space to list here.

A few car museums will want replica cars that are full size they cannot afford.
I cannot promise there may be a few canoes and kayaks that need assembly.

I believe size of unmanned airplane must have a span of around 6-12 feet to carry the volume of solar cells needed to fly roughly 2,500 miles from California to Hawaii. There may be a contest with other high schools to be the first to attempt this flight.

Charles Caldwell
Founder of Make Dreams Realistic
A former member
Post #: 2
Charles,

It sounds like quite a project. I can certainly ask students to see if there is interest for this type of thing. What type of support would you be able to provide the students if they decide this is something they would like to do? Are there others on your team that can help guide the students?

Dave
Tim L.
Tim_Laren
Granada Hills, CA
Post #: 6
Hello,
I live in Granada Hills. I sell quality Arduino items at a fair price. If you are interested, I can supply your school with any Arduino and sensor items you require. I have been providing the LA Robotic a local, fair priced source for quality Arduino and kits for the last several months. I can also offer some guidance in the form of an introduction class coordinated with your lesson plan.

If interested feel free to contact me at your convenience.

I am currently involved with the Porpoise Project: http://www.motionpict...­ and http://porpoiseroboti...­ preparing the prototype.

Tim
Bob W.
user 31406692
Tujunga, CA
Post #: 1
Well, I'm interested in helping out, but my knowledge/experience in robotics per se is limited. However, i certainly have some (30 years) experience in embedded programming, electronics, microcontrollers, and project management, plus a little Arduino experience. In my experience, the best way to learn something is to teach it. I'll send a private message with my particulars.