LA Robotics Club Message Board › Ok, now I want my Arduino to move

Ok, now I want my Arduino to move

Michael John C.
netrunner1987
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
What motors would the more experienced people suggest for some that wants to add mobility education/frustration.

The 1st thing my kids want to do is make it move. I walked and stared at the 1 section Frys has of arduino parts and saw the plastic or metal and Analog motors.

What motors do you suggest for someone to get their feet wet in slowly moving their arduino.
I am not looking to do quarter miles yet and move the house. Safe and sane.
I would like to be able to control 2 motors for now.
How many can I control, with variable speed on the stand alone arduino?

I also would like suggestions on .. hardware drivers on motors? or do I need them yet?
Any suggested URLs or books would greatly appreciated.
I guess, I will have my kids blog about this too.. to get them started on sharing and discussing info.

thanks all,
Mike
Soccer Dad
Tim L.
Tim_Laren
Granada Hills, CA
Post #: 11
Hello,

I have been with the LA Robotics Club for about a year and have been a supplier of Arduino kits for the Introduction to Arduino class at our club. I also got involved with the Porpoise Project, an high school program that being introduced to the LAUSD this year. We have our first class being taught at Washington Prep High School this fall.

For this program I have collected several items and one of those is a robot base 'car'. I have it on my web site under Porpoise Robotics and it is listed as Robot Car #1. http://hacker.instane...­

You will require a car and motor controller. The motor controller will have no problem powering this cars motors and more later on if needed. It can handle up to 48 volts and 2 Amps per motor.

If you are interested in getting them, you can order on the site and I can deliver to the next meetup or arrange a drop off (within reasonable mileage) if it is required prior to the next meetup. When ordering, if I am delivering the items, pick Store Pickup and COD to save you shipping costs and save me the PayPal fees.

I have a post in the forums on the motor controller at Hackers' Notebook: http://hacker.instane...­ under Arduino and L298N. I will post more information in the same location about the car later today, I just have to edit up parts of the class curriculum and post it.