addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

LA Robotics Club Message Board › Bike Generator Project this evening and Star Party on Friday

Bike Generator Project this evening and Star Party on Friday

Annika O.
AnnikaSkywalker
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
This is Sasha from BETTER (www.thisisbetter.org­), and I'd love to invite you to a small think-a-thon for a bike generator project that we are having this evening, 02-27-13, in Culver City. BETTER is a non-profit that is open-sourcing engineered permaculture. Aaaaaand that means, encouraging local and global community building through the creation of bite-sized d.i.y. (do-it-yourself) sustainability projects that we then share with the world.  We are going to be discussing the design for a bike generator project, as well as possible sponsorship through Tern Bikes (www.ternbicycles.com­). Please email me at sasha@thisisbetter.org­ if you would like to join. We will have opportunities for demonstration and outreach in the future, but we would like to keep this design session on the small side, so please indicate whether you have strengths in mechanical or electrical engineering, design or if you have organizational skills to help move the project forward. Our aim is to have a working demo for CicLAvia for Tern Bikes (a sponsor of the event), which is 04-21-13.  Our space is being hosted by the amazing abstract artist Brad Stewart (www.bradfordstewart.com­).  Thank you so much for your support!

Time: 7-10 PM

Address: 5872 Smiley Drive, Culver City, CA. 90232

Also, join us for our Star Party this Friday!  A super kid-friendly, finger foods potluck at New Roads School.  Telescopes and Astronomer/Astrophysicists will be on-hand to increase your stellar-viewing pleasure.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/252345294901756/­
crablouis
user 12844743
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Post #: 2
I love the idea of bikes for power generation. Exercise places should be generation stations!

I can't attend tonight, but this might be of interest, or germane. I believe that Lee Felsenstein did design work for or with Lee Thorne of the Jhai Foundation to create a simple PC and wireless com system for Cambodian villages, called the "Jhai PC". It is powered by bicycle generators, iirc. According to the wikipedia article, the code's opensourced on Sourceforge. Might be of some interest for this project.

http://en.wikipedia.o...­

http://www.csmonitor....­

Lee Thorne is retired, and Lee Felsenstein is working on another project, I beleive, but the foundation might be open to inquiries if there are any..