addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

LA Robotics Club Message Board › Compton HS voice audrino controlled hand

Compton HS voice audrino controlled hand

Bob O.
user 96448992
Signal Hill, CA
Post #: 4
I volunteer at Compton High School as a techy consultant. I am working with a some students building a quadcopter, wind turbine and solar boat. I made and demo'd a simple robot finger to them and now they want to build a hand. Initially it will be a simple RC controlled hand. I was just thinking, time permitting, that it would be neat if the hand can be open and closed by voice commands (kinda like talking to your hand). Anyway, I'm working on numerous other personal projects and don't have time or experience to develop the audrino code. Does anyone out there have time to volunteer for Compton HS to develop voice controlled hand/finger? All it needs to do is incrementally open or close a RC servo on a simple syllable.
Jay V
user 14177218
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Bob:

Can you give a few more details about what's involved? Unfortunately I work during the week and would not be available to go down to the school unless it was on the weekend. I might be able to help some on weekends. If what you want is just a design, then more detail would help me determine whether I could be a useful contributor
Tim L.
Tim_Laren
Granada Hills, CA
Post #: 22
What are you going to use to do the voice recognition or have you figured that one out?
Bob O.
user 96448992
Signal Hill, CA
Post #: 5
My working demo robotic finger is basically made up of 3 RC Dubro EZ hinges that are mechanically affixed in series to simulate the bones (phalanges) and joints of a finger. Along inside of this finger is a rc push-pull cable attached to the rc hinges (phalanges) to simulate the ligaments and sheath of the finger. The end of the push pull cable is connected to a rc servo to simulate the finger's muscle. As the servo pushes and pulls (muscle contract and relaxes) the finger curls open and close. Currently the servo is connected to a servo tester that automatically sweeps the servo through its range.
-The school's instructor wants to build a 5 copies of the finger and put them all together for a hand and let the servo controllers or RC transmitter control them. I though it would be even more imaginative and possibly useful if the hand would incrementally open or close from a simple vowel or consonant command. Like 'O' to open 10% (servo throw). A quick series of 10 'O's would fully open the finger. Maybe 'C' to close incrementally in the same manner. Much later, If this works out, maybe we can throw in some word commands, like 'Hand Open' to fully open the hand automatically. Just trying to get the students to think 'out-of-the-box'.
-I was thinking about using a Arduino and a Bitvoicer to accomplish this. Once I finish up my other projects i was going to work on this, but that may be a long while yet. Probably too late for this years's students. So I was hoping that somebody 'out there' would have some 'free' time to generate the code.
-I usually go to the school on thursdays afternoon for a few hours. It's probably's a big 'stretch' for them to learn how to program an Arduino. But they are very capable of understanding the mechanism and basic functions of the Arduino, Bitvoicer, servos and battery. Hopefully this will inspire them to want to learn more whether it be code or mechanism. (Although, I think the student that going to lead the project is interested in understanding code... at least for now, I don't know the about the rest of the group).
-There is no schedule for the voice control. The robotic hand mechanism (RC controlled) needs to be done sometime during the school's spring science fair, which should be done easily (provided no school funding SNAFU).

Bob O.
user 96448992
Signal Hill, CA
Post #: 6
Here's a quick video of the robot finger. Please keep in mind that it's a quick demo 'proof-of-concept' prototype designed to inspire the students to improve upon. I'm hoping that the students will come up with something totally 'out-of-the-box' or at least very cool. Anyway here's the video:

http://www.youtube.co...­

Tim L.
Tim_Laren
Granada Hills, CA
Post #: 23
Private Video, can't view.
Do you have all the Arduino stuff?
I'd be interested, if I can also bring it to the two schools I work with and show it off (1 day each) when done and I could work on the software at my leisure and not at the school. I can attend school to show and discuss the software when needed. I currently teach robotics at i.am.College Track (A will.i.am project) in Boyle Heights and I am also a guest teacher at Washington Prep High School for a physics/robotics class.