L.A. Street Photography Message Board › A few Rules and Guidelines on shooting..

A few Rules and Guidelines on shooting..

Chris F.
user 4616510
Group Organizer
West Covina, CA
Post #: 415
A few rules,,, I will be adding to this list.. Most are " Common sense"

Never stick a camera in someones face. If you cant get the shot without being seen then ASK. There is always a sneaky way to get the shot if all else fails ..

If someone tells you NO,,, then NO MEANS NO.

Be very careful taking photos of other peoples children. ..........
Women can get away with it,,
Guys often come off as pervy
and risk being fed their camera..

Do not insist on your "Rights as a Photographer" .
Yes we have rights,,,, But the rest of the world doesn't always agree..
Negotiate.. Don't aggravate..

All you will do is piss people off and make it harder for the next guy....Remember where you are

Never endanger another group member by your actions .. Wherever you shoot show respect... No matter who or what your subject is

Having a camera is never a license to be an asshole
( unless you are being paid to be one. That's different).

If there is a police or fire line ,,, obey the law,, obey those giving orders,,, be aware of the risk you are taking by not doing so..

I have been "pepper sprayed", maced . tear gassed and clubbed,, its not fun.. .. And you end up in a holding cell with people you would rather not know.

( I know you have rights,, blah, blah, blah... they have guns and badges, choose a better time to argue your rights,, a tense situation is not the time.. )

ALWAYS.... be professional,, what you do in the field reflects on us all .

I have been doing street photography for over 45 years , and only recently have I become apprehensive when doing it ,,

Stay safe...
Michelle
RinaRose
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 31
Chris, thank for posting these rules. Yes, most are common sense and courtesy. Many times, if I take a photo of a baby or child, I ask the parents if I can take a picture of their hands, feet, things like that. Most parents have been more than willing to let me do it. Jerry got a kick out of this when I did it on the Worldwide photo walk. When taking photos of children, if I take their faces, I do not post the photo on the general web, but on sites where you have to sign in - like on this site - or where the general public can't access it. Still, it pays to use caution. Sometimes I soften the features, so that the child is unrecognizable. My feeling is that if I have any doubts about posting the face of a baby or child on the web - I don't.

I've become accustomed to doing street photography, but it took me awhile. Now I enjoy it, but have much to learn about it.

Michelle
Mike
user 10886098
Culver City, CA
Post #: 5
Chris-
Always appreciate your good judgement & sensibilities!
Sad to think this (my favorite) genre is threatened by unthinking individuals. Especially in light of recent Vivian Maier publicity. Thanks for that event too.
Mike
Chris F.
user 4616510
Group Organizer
West Covina, CA
Post #: 417
Thanks Mike,,

I wasn't sure that anyone was reading anything posted on these message boards.
There has been almost no response..

............C
Carl
Carl_alt_photos
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 42
I read them and value them, though I don't often reply.

Thanks Mike,,

I wasn't sure that anyone was reading anything posted on these message boards.
There has been almost no response..

............C

Michelle
RinaRose
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 32
I read it and replied.

Michelle