Welcome to the LA Beach Volleyball (LABV) Meetup - now in our 6th year! We play every Saturday (year-round). Our secret (Marina Del Rey-ish) location has free parking, many nets, good music, and nice bathrooms close by. We get approximately 60 to 100 people on any given weekend, so you can play volleyball at skill levels ranging from beginner 4s to advanced 2s. Unlike other groups- we absolutely do not discriminate! All skill levels are welcome! We are often described as a "HUGE beach party" - and I think that's pretty accurate!
See the "Pages" link to get answers to anything not covered below:
** From May 1st to October 15th - the price to join this group is $10 **
Pay via PAYPAL (link on left side of main page) AFTER being approved to join, but BEFORE RSVPing to a game!
We will refund your $10 at the beach if you decide not to continue on your first day...
We get so overwhelmed in the warmer months that we need to do something to slow down the number of people joining. So I figure if you are willing to pay $10, then you really WANT to play volleyball.
From October 16th to April 30th we are free to join - but consider making a donation to keep LABV going!
Please note that ALL money donated is used to buy new equipment for the group - NO ONE makes a dime from this group (unlike other groups that will remain nameless).
Fine Print: You must become a LABV member to find out where we play, and you must RSVP on our meetup site every week you wish to play. Also you must have a photo of yourself (not your pet or whatever) to become a member. I try to answer all the usual questions in the "Pages" link or in here, so I'm sorry but I just can't respond to emails asking questions already covered.
Our group has 2 different levels of play on Saturdays -
------- A 12:00 noon group open to ALL SKILL LEVELS (which plays 3's and 4's)
------- A 8:30am to 12:30pm doubles group open to ADVANCED and HIGH-INTERMEDIATE PLAYERS
1. All skill levels are welcome to our 12:00 noon group. We still maintain a fairly high level of play, but we also will not discriminate against you if you are a beginner. This means more experienced players will be expected to play with beginners from time to time. We are first and foremost a SOCIAL group, not a competitive group.
2. There is no $ charge to play or be a member of this group. Membership dues are not required - if you see dues listed on the site it's because I had to set it up that way for donations. We have a (completely optional) donation drive in February and August to pay website fees and equipment, but for the most part you will never be hit-up for money.
3. We are pretty liberal on the rules of our games in our all-levels 12:00 noon group. Please understand that certain CBVA violations - like hand-setting a serve or lightly grazing the net during play - are going to be allowed in the 12:00 noon group. The 8:30am doubles group is much more strict on the rules.
4. Although we don't ask for money, we would like you to occasionally bring snacks! Also, there are many restaurants nearby for post-game noshing!
5. NO stalking or other soap-opera drama! Let's remember this is a friendly group environment, not a single's bar. Complaints against members causing drama will result in removal from the group.
6. Good sportsmanship only!
New members must be approved by the Organizer
Content of this Meetup Group is only visible to members
Your organizer will refund you if:
I started the group because there wasn't any other type of group like this. I've met some great folks in the group who have become close friends and have also met some amazing business owners.
— Bill, started New York City Gay Craft Beer Lovers