We are a diverse group of writers who want to explore the world through writing. We meet monthly and share our latest creations and ideas with the aim of giving and receiving constructive feedback and support. Our goal is to encourage writers to move their writing forward.
Here's a quick snapshot of the Write Out Loud - LGBT Writers Group:
1) We suggest that you check the Write Out Loud - LGBT Writers Group Meetup page regularly for updates on new meetups, RSVP information, scheduling changes or any new information about the group.
2) The group normally meets around the 3rd Sunday of the month (pending holidays, etc.) from 12:45pm to around 4pm, and includes (on average) 10-15 writers. The location of the group varies, and has included Los Angeles areas of San Fernando Valley, Highland Park and the Melrose area (to name a few!). You must RSVP for a group meeting to be placed on the list to receive an email with location information. The address email goes out the Sunday, Wednesday and Friday prior to the meeting. So if you RSVP, for example, on the night before the meeting, you will not get the address. Please RSVP early! Out of respect for all of the participating writers, we ask that members arrive 15 minutes early, so we can begin on time.
3) When you arrive, you’ll sign up on the “Read Sheet” which will be separated into two columns: "returning members" and "new comers". You'll sign up to read accordingly. Returning, actively participating writers will be given priority followed by, if time remains, new comers to the group. This is to encourage member's commitment to attend and to achieving their writing goal through repeated participation. At a meeting, when your number is called from the "Read List", you’ll have the floor to read (or have read – if your work is a play or screenplay with dialogue, you can cast from the group) the project that you’re working on. If you’re looking for specific feedback, i.e. "is my character’s intention clear in this scene", we ask that you mention that before you begin your reading.
4) Afterward, the writers in the room will reflect on your piece, providing as little or as much feedback as you’d like. The feedback section is meant to be a tool for writers to hear how other writers (and readers!) and perceiving the work shared. Members will be encourage to hear the feedback with an open mind, taking from the comments which resonate with them, and leaving behind those comments that they don't feel are helpful. Writers are encouraged not to defend their work, but rather broaden their awareness of how their writing is perceived by others in the group. The organizers will encourage and maintain a constructive feedback section, respecting all of the viewpoints shared at each meeting.
5) There’s a requirement for the Write Out Loud - LGBT Writers Group that you must attend at least one of the eleven group meetings during the year in order to stay active, although we would like you to commit to more than two group meetings ideally. This is to encourage an active, participating experience for all. Also, those writers who attend four or more meetings in 2016 will be invited to a public reading of their project (s) at the end of 2016, opened to family and friends. Make good on that resolution to complete that novel, short story, collection of poems, screenplay or memoir (or other) and share your completed draft with your public! But, as a note, If you do not attend at least one meeting during the year, at the end of 2016 you will be thanked for your interest and removed from the group.
A note about the work that you bring in: we ask that your piece be “in the works”, meaning unpublished, and in a place where you feel comfortable receiving feedback. You should plan on reading 5-8 pages (10 minutes or so - we suggest timing yourself beforehand!). The organizers will keep the readings within the timeframe. The style of the work read, however, is wide open. The Write Out Loud - LGBT Writers Group has read poems, plays, novels, short stories, nonfiction manuals, memoirs, diary entries, travel journals, screenplays, you name it. This is a safe space to share and receive reflections on your creative work. This group is, however, for members who are actively writing, and not a "story-listening" group. Please attend each meeting ready to have your work shared.
And that's it! We can't wait to meet you and hear the world through your writing. Until we see you at a Write Out Loud - LGBT Writers Group meeting, keep writing because we need your voice.
Scott and Glenn, Co-Organizers, Write Out Loud - LGBT Writers Group
Membership is open to everyone
Content of this Meetup Group is only visible to members
Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:45 PM
Sunday, July 17, 2016 12:45 PM
Sunday, August 21, 2016 12:45 PM
Sunday, September 18, 2016 12:45 PM
Sunday, October 16, 2016 12:45 PM