We are a diverse group of writers who want to explore the world through writing. We meet monthly and share our latest creations and ideas with the aim of giving and receiving constructive feedback and support.
Here's a quick snapshot of the LGBT Writers Group:
1) Check the LGBT Writers Group Meetup page regularly for updates on new meetups, RSVP information, scheduling changes or any new information about the group.
2) The group normally meets around the 3rd Sunday of the month (pending holidays, etc.) from 12:45pm to around 4pm, and includes (on average) 10-15 writers. The location of the group varies, and has included Los Angeles areas of San Fernando Valley, Highland Park and the Melrose area (to name a few!). Once you've RSVPed for a particular group meeting, you'll be on the list to receive an email with location information. Out of respect for all of the writers, we ask that you arrive 15 minutes early, so we can begin on time.
3) When you arrive, you’ll sign up on the “Read Sheet”, and when your number’s called, you’ll have the floor to read (or have read – if your work is a play or screenplay with dialogue, you can cast from the group) any project that you’re working on. If you’re looking for specific feedback, i.e. "is my character’s intention clear in this scene", we ask that you mention that before you begin your reading.
4) Afterward, the writers in the room will reflect on your piece, providing as little or as much feedback as you’d like.
5) There’s a new requirement for the LGBT Writers Group in 2015 – you must attend at least one of the group meetings during the year in order to stay active. This is to encourage an active, participating experience for all. If you do not attend at least one meeting, at the end of 2015 you will be thanked for your interest and dropped from the group.
A note about the work that you bring in: we ask that your piece be “in the works”, meaning unpublished, and in a place where you feel comfortable receiving feedback. The style, however, is wide open. We’ve read poems, plays, novels, short stories, nonfiction manuals, memoirs, diary entries, travel journals, screenplays, you name it. This is a safe space to share and receive reflection on your creative work.Until we meet you at a LGBT Writers Group, keep writing, we need your voice.
Membership is open to everyone
Content of this Meetup Group is only visible to members
Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:45 PM
Sunday, November 15, 2015 12:45 PM
I decided to start Reno Motorcycle Riders Group because I wanted to be part of a group of people who enjoyed my passion... I was excited and nervous. Our group has grown by leaps and bounds. I never thought it would be this big.
— Henry, started Reno Motorcycle Riders