All ladies are welcome, however, PARTICIPATION IS A REQUIREMENT! So please ensure that your schedule will be able to accommodate a book club.
How the book club works:
1. The book club meeting locations are central to the Tri-Valley, including Dublin, Pleasanton, Livermore, San Ramon and Danville.
2. Members take turns hosting at their home on a voluntary basis.
3. The book club meets every month on the second Sunday from 2:00 - 5:00 PM. If the date conflicts with a major holiday, meeting is moved to the second Saturday of the month.
4. It’s a potluck with each attendee bringing a dish and/or beverage (we drink wine!).
5. For the book selection, each attendee comes with a book in mind to be entered into a drawing and at the end of the meet, four books are drawn, which is then posted on the meetup site for a general vote. The winning book is the book with the most votes!
6. A guideline to use in choosing a book to be entered into the drawing is -- generally fiction, approx. 400 pages and under $16.
7. Reading the book is not a prerequisite for attendance - you are welcome to just join the fun!
8. Outside of the book club meetings, approximately every other month there are fun social outings such as dinners, movies, wine tasting & etc.
9. Note on participation requirements: Members with 1. zero attendance history within a 6 month period, 2. no-shows as a result of not updating RSVPs and 3. a history of cancelled RSVP's at the last minute are subject to removal. The goal is to achieve quality -- where there is a real community of ladies -- instead of quantity, where a group has 100’s of members but 90% of its’ members are just peeping at what the 10% are actually living out in real life.
Ellie's Thoughts on Book Discussions:
#1 - We are here to enjoy our time in the company of ladies from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
#2 - Our book discussion is for the purposes of furthering and enriching our exploration and understanding of the book and the author from the lenses of our personal experiences and beliefs.
#3 - To that end, the objective is to share our thoughts and points of view and to thoughtfully listen and learn of others'.
#4 - Different points of view are welcomed and highly encouraged, but never through personal attacks or insults.
#5 - We are engaged in a dialogue -- please participate in facilitating and furthering a rich discussion.
#6 - If you need to leave early, please say that you need to be somewhere and leave, but please do not rush the book discussion to an ending because you need to leave.
#7 - If by chance a faux pas is committed (which I have a tendency of because I am still growing & maturing) -- please do your best to clean it up if not there immediately, then by sending messages to members/group.
#8 - Definition of a successful meet -- is if everyone in the group laughs really loud with abandon at least 3 times!!! Let's have fun ladies!
973 Maria Teresa's Kitchen Guests
1,737 Amazing Members
1,973 Lovely Ladies
89 Telesarians Toastmasters