align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Lafayette Dinner, Drinks, Entertainment, & Fun Message Board › The Group needs a new Organizer

The Group needs a new Organizer

Tom Y.
user 57749592
Crawfordsville, IN
Hello Everyone,

I think the time has come for me to turn over the group to someone new. I've lost some of my enthusiasm and haven't taken the time to do much with the group as of late. I think now is a good time to let someone else take this group, and especially with the nicer weather coming it will be easier to arrange meetups and activities. Also this month, the group's semi-annual website fee will be due. If someone doesn't assume the organizer role and get the fee paid when it's due, the group will be dissolved after 14 days if I recall correctly. I will explain and pass on whatever information I have to anyone who would like to become the organizer. Please contact me if interested. Thank you.

Tom Yahne (current organizer of Lafayette Dinner, Drinks, Entertainment, & Fun Group)
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm not sure how completely valid my opinion is because I have only been in the group for a few months and haven't been able to make it it to a meetup yet, but what if we could get ~6 people ("Board of Directors"? ha) to take equal responsibility of the group, come up with around 2 meetup ideas a year a piece in addition to leading around 4 regular reoccuring events (i.e. movie, meet for drinks etc). This would equal about 3 events a month as a group just as a base minimum. This could be discussed and then months split up too.
I had no idea this wasn't a free thing. The BOD could front the fees, at 6 people it would end up being $10-15 a person from what I've been told. But in turn it would also be very reasonable to request that at each event, everyone that attends pitch in just $1 to help cover the event, and possibly reimburse the brave volunteers and go toward the next fee.
A former member
Post #: 10
I've been in Lafayette for the last year and was an active member and Organizer/Asst. Organizer of a number of active singles/social Meetup groups in Indy. I still run the Carmel Singles Faith Friends Meetup from here - a Christian singles group on the northside of Indianapolis sponsored by a church, but open to the community.

I wanted to offer some encouragement to the Organizers here in Lafayette. Getting a group off the ground isn't easy! You'll learn that you can't please everyone and there will always be complaining. We found that having a variety of events on a variety of nights works best. That way, a core group was formed, and newbies continued to join and cycle through. The purpose is not to develop a clique; at least it wasn't for us. We wanted to have some close friends, and keep the group exciting and new with new friends and personalities joining and attending! By having different types of events (coffee, music, movies, dining out, lunch, outdoor festivals/events, etc.) and on a variety of days of the week, it seemed to allow for everyone's schedule to occasionally attend. I shared some of these ideas with the Lafayette group organizer(s) by email several months ago.

Our group wasn't about the bars/drinking either (responding to one member's comment), but we did go to see bands sometimes at restaurants that served alcohol - our focus was fellowship and friendship. No one ever misbehaved - we're all adults. :-) Most of the Indy singles groups are in the 35+ or 40+ age group, but always welcomed younger folks. We tried not to over define ourselves. The group's public description should reveal what you're about in terms of a wide age bracket (or narrow!), interests, activities, etc. Take a peek at some of the ones in Indianapolis.

I don't know this area well enough to be an Organizer, and I think I might be above the general age of members, but I could attend an organizing meeting to help if you'd like or be an Event Organizer. The Carmel group grew from just a few to nearly 350 in just a couple years! About two dozen attend most events. Check out the calendar to see what types of stuff we do. Every month we do a dinner out and sometimes a pitch-in at a member's home in winter months. In good weather, mostly outdoor events. (The church has a weekly dinner as well.) I hope my input helps! Being an Organizer takes some effort and a thick skin. Let's all thank Tom & company for their effort!
Maureen
A former member
Thanks for getting this up and running and for all your efforts. I have finally got a job and will be gone for the next 9 weeks, so am going to leave this up to Vicki and the rest to keep up and running until I return. I've met a lot of great friends on this group and look forward to meeting up again when I finish this training.
Tom Y.
user 57749592
Crawfordsville, IN
Post #: 4
Great news Renee!!! Glad to hear you got a job, and best of luck in your training.
Tom Y.
user 57749592
Crawfordsville, IN
Post #: 5
To try and answer some questions... The MeetUp website costs $72 every 6 months to use. There must be an organize, but you can have other co-organizers, and other particular titles to help run the group. I want to thank all my co-organizers that have helped me run this group over the last 6 months, as they have been a tremendous help. My time, location (Crawfordsville), and personal life just is not lending the time and effort to run this group. Maybe, this group needs to be spun off to different groups of interest and age ranges, as it started and as been for all interests and age ranges. Unfortunately, that does cost some money, and also needs to have more participants. I think that some of you should check other people out of similiar interests/age ranges and maybe start a group from the beginning, and let this group die out. And by the way, the Meetup website does have a multitude of problems, especially with emails just like may other sites, from your work to facebook, have various problems, and the support is all but non-existent in my opinion. But what can you do. It is a great place to find and meet people of similiar interests and/or just meet people. Just search for "meetup", "your interest", and "your location" and you may be surprised what you can find.
Becky W.
user 71191982
Lafayette, IN
I completely agree with Ambers idea. I don't want to see this group die. We have a good group of people who enjoy meeting each month. I hope that those people who don't want to see it die will write in so we can join together. I will be happy to be a BOD to help any wdy I can.
Becky Wilson
(765)464-4113
A former member
Post #: 2
Also, if it gets spun off into 3 different groups or whatever, then it is just going to cost 3 times as much. Is there a time that works with people to meetup and discuss this further this week? I can do any weeknight but Tuesday after 6:30 pm.
Becky W.
user 71191982
Lafayette, IN
Post #: 2
I can meet anytime.
A former member
Post #: 3
I like the idea of specific type meetups so you know you have something in common with the folks who show up which is why I tried to get the bowling night and movie night off the ground and still trying to figure out how to get a card night going. I wanted folks to be able to know the group bowls the same time every month.... they go to the movies the same time every month... they play cards the same time every month..... and then throw in something new every once in a while, so we can get a group of regulars specifically interested in those activities while also meeting new people. With 5 organizers curerently on board we should be able to get this thing moving. Maybe we just do need more time. There appears to be a lot of interest in this group still and the concensus seems to be to keep it varied and open to all. So I'm really happy to hear that. My comment about "having to meet new people" may have come off wrong and if so, i didnt mean it to be. Its just that as a guest at an event you are responsible for your own experience. Attend, show up, be willing to mingle... As an organizer you are responsible for helping the guests have a positive experience and sometimes I just want to be able to be a guest :-)