This listing will continue to be updated as information becomes available - please check back regularly!
Often described as a rolling Mardi Gras, the Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) is a seven-day bicycle ride across the state. Heading into it's 42nd year, RAGBRAI is the oldest, largest and longest bicycle touring event in the world!
This year's route is the 2nd flattest and 3rd shortest in RAGBRAI's 42 year history - this is the perfect time to join in the fun!
Start - Rock Valley
69 Miles - Okojobi
41 Miles - Emmetsburg
73 Miles - Forest City
36 Miles - Mason City
63 Miles - Waverly
68 Miles - Independence
68 Miles - Guttenberg
See pictures of all the fun from 2013 by clicking here!
If you'd like to receive a link to view a fun video of last year's LCBG participants on the ride, please drop an email to Pam.
2014 Attire Schedule
If you have the designated attire for the day, please pack accordingly :-); if not, in parenthese are listed the "official" days of RAGBRAI - feel free to wear something relative... or not!
Sun, July 20 - 2014 CUBS jersey
Mon, July 21 - 2013 CUBS jersey (Law Enforcement Appreciation Day)
Tue, July 22 - Any RAGBRAI jersey (RAGBRAI Jersey Day)
Wed, July 23 - 2014 LCBG jersey and photo with Mr Pork Chop! (People for Bikes Day)
Thu, July 24 - Any college jersey (College Jersey Day)
Fri, July 25 - 2013 LCBG jersey (Carter LeBeau Day)
Sat, July 26 - 2014 CUBS jersey
Our group will be riding as part of the Chicago Urban Bicycling Society (CUBS) team.
Cost is $860.00/person (includes $160.00 RAGBRAI rider fee) and is payable in three installments.
NOTE: CUBS has a 68 rider limit!
CUBS Registration Information - PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY
CUBS Membership Agreement & Release
CUBS Medical & Emergency Form
Take me to the RAGBRAI site!
Take me to the CUBS site!
How to Register
* Access the RABRAI registration page here.
* Select the Week Long Rider option when registering.
* Do NOT register as an individual; register as part of the CUBS team, group 246.
* Do NOT provide any payment information to RAGBRAI directly - do NOT give a credit card number when registering or send a check. You will pay CUBS and CUBS will pay RAGBRAI for the entire group.
* Don't forget to register on the CUBS site and complete their online registration form as well! Afterwards, you will mail to CUBS four completed hard copy forms along with your deposit - 1) RAGBRAI Release (find it on the RAGBRAI site - link above); CUBS 2) Membership Agreement and 3) Medical & Emergency Form (links above); and lastly, your driver's license, auto insurance, and health insurance cards copied onto a single sheet of paper.
Itinerary / Accommodations - Based upon 2013 / subject to change
* Saturday, July 19th: 4 am (!) meet at Lincoln Hall Middle School, 6855 N Crawford, Lincolnwood - load up bikes and luggage on a truck, board the tour-style bus and be on the road by 5 am. Everyone will be signing in on Day 1 and will be assigned their luggage color at that time. Everyone with the same color luggage tags stays at the same house so we need to coordinate this - since luggage tag color is normally assigned based upon the first letter of your last name, anyone with a last name beginning with A-L needs to say they are sharing a tent with someone with a last name starting with "W"!
* Camping in host families' yards, except for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights when we have indoor accommodations!
* Everyone is responsible for bringing their own tent... or buddy up with a friend (FYI - REI rents tents, sleeping bags and pads, etc).
* Tent set-up available - make your arrangements directly with the CUBS crew ($).
* In-home shower and restroom facilities courtesy of our host families.
* Daily lite continental breakfast; snacks, pop and beer at the end of the day.
Logistics / Services / Amenities
* Free lot parking available at Lincoln Hall Middle School for anyone who needs to leave their car for the week.
* Team jersey and T-shirt for all CUBS riders.
* Banquet dinner.
* No luggage restrictions but use good judgement - prefer 2 bags/person (one tent and sleeping gear, one clothing)and nothing too heavy. Keep bags to 40 lb max each, even if it means bringing an 3 bags instead of 2.
* Don't forget to tag your luggage with your name!
* Packed tent and bags must be on truck by 8 am daily.
* Pack enough cycling and casual clothing for the entire week - no laundry facilities available (Hint: Pack each day's ride and casual clothing in its own plastic zip-lock bag).
* Pack for heat and sun as well as rain and cold! A battery-powered fan is also suggested.
* Past riders suggested bringing about $300/person in cash to cover daily food and drink along the route; bring debit/credit card for other expenses such as souvenirs, bike repairs, restaurant meals, and any unforeseen expenses.
* Marked route from end-of-day town to host families' homes available by 2 pm each day.
* Van transport from host families' homes into town if needed; also from one overnight stop to the next if necessary (injury, fatigue, mechanical failure, etc).
* Bike mechanic available for minor repairs.
* Electronics charging available at each overnight stop.
* Massage therapists available (approximately $1.00/minute).
* Charity auction for Camp Courageous (CUBS supported charity).
See the RAGBRAI and CUBS websites for detailed training, prep/packing, and ride info
Cancellations / Refunds
Sole discretion of CUBS; handle any inquiries directly with CUBS
Important Dates to Remember - Mark Your Calendar!
Initial Paperwork: Deposit of $360+ due
Feb 9th: Kickoff brunch - open to anyone, registered or not. 11 am, Green House Inn Restaurant on the Misericordia campus at 6300 N. Ridge, Chicago. Cost approximately $22.00, pay at the door. Brunch, followed by a team meeting and the 2014 CUBS jersey reveal! CONTACT KATHI IF PLANNING TO ATTEND - CUBS needs a head count.
Mar 15th: Second installment of $250 due
May 15th: Final installment of $250 due
June 22nd: Meet-and-Greet Pizza Party at Lou Malnati's, 6649 N Lincoln Ave, Lincolnwood. Cost: $15/person, pay at the door.
Jul 19th: Leave for RAGBRAI!