This listing will continue to be updated as
information becomes available - please check back often!
Often described as a rolling Mardi Gras, the Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) is a seven-day bicycle ride across the state. Heading into it's 41st year, RAGBRAI is the oldest, largest and longest bicycle touring event in the world!
This year's route is the 2nd shortest and 15th flattest in RAGBRAI's 41 year history - this is the perfect time to join in the fun!
Start - Council Bluffs
56.8 Miles - Harlan
83 Miles - Perry
49.9 Miles - Des Moines
49.9 Miles - Knoxville
52 Miles - Oskaloosa
52 Miles - Fairfield
63 Miles - Fort Madison
Our group will be riding as part of the Chicago Urban Bicycling Society (CUBS) team.
Cost is $825.00/person (includes $150.00 RAGBRAI rider fee)
and is payable in three installments.
NOTE: CUBS has a 65 rider limit - register ASAP!
~ CUBS 2013 Registration is Now Closed ~
CUBS Registration Information
CUBS Membership Agreement
CUBS Medical & Emergency Form
Take me to the RAGBRAI site!
Take me to the CUBS site!
How to Register
* Access the RABRAI registration page here.
* Select the Week Long Rider option when registering.
* Do NOT register as an individual; register as part of the CUBS group.
* Do NOT provide any payment information to RAGBRAI directly - do NOT give a credit card number when registering or send a check. You will pay CUBS and CUBS will pay RAGBRAI for the entire group.
* Don't forget to register on the CUBS site and complete their online registration form as well! Afterwards, you will supply CUBS with three completed hard copy forms - 1) RAGBRAI Release (find it on the RAGBRAI site - link above); and CUBS 2) Membership Agreement and 3) Medical & Emergency Form (links above).
After officially registering with RAGBRAI and CUBS, please update the comment on your "YES" RSVP for this ride so we can keep track of everyone's status.
Itinerary / Accomodations
* Saturday, July 20th: 4am (!) meet at Lincoln Hall Middle School, 6855 N Crawford, Lincolnwood - load up bikes and luggage on a truck, board the tour-style bus and be on the road by 5am. Saturday night we bunk at the Iowa School for the Deaf in Council Bluffs (shower facilities available). Everyone will be signing in on Day 1 and will be assigned their luggage color at that time. Everyone with the same color stays at the same house so we need to coordinate this - hold off signing in until everyone from LCBG is present.
* Camping in host families' yards - entire CUBS team at one house for dinner, multiple homes for sleeping (we will ask CUBS to keep entire LCBG together but no guarantees); one night's lodging mid-week (Des Moines?) in a hotel.
* Everyone is responsible for bringing their own tent... or buddy up with a friend (FYI - REI rents tents, sleeping bags and pads, etc).
* Tent set-up available - make your arrangements directly with the CUBS crew ($).
* In-home shower and restroom facitilities courtesy of our host families.
* Daily lite continental breakfast; snacks, pop and beer at the end of the day.
Logistics / Services / Amenities
* Free lot parking available at Lincoln Hall Middle School for anyone who needs to leave their car for the week.
* Team jersey and T-shirt for all CUBS riders.
* Banquet dinner.
* No luggage restrictions but use good judgement - prefer 2 bags/person (one tent and sleeping gear, one clothing), nothing too heavy (but better 3 bags at 30 lbs each vs 2 bags at 50 lbs each).
* Don't forget to tag your luggage with your name!
* Packed tent and bags must be on truck by 8am daily.
* Pack enough cycling and casual clothing for the entire week - no laundry facilities available (Hint: Pack each day's ride and casual clothing in its own plastic zip-lock bag).
* Pack for heat and sun as well as rain and cold! A battery-powered fan is also suggested.
* Past riders suggested bringing about $200/person in cash to cover daily food and drink along the route; bring debit/credit card for other expenses such as souvenirs, bike repairs, restaurant meals, and any unforseen expenses.
* Marked route from end-of-day town to host families' homes available by 2pm each day.
* Van transport from host families' homes into town if needed; also from one overnight stop to the next if necessary (injury, fatigue, mechanical failure, etc).
* Bike mechanic available for minor repairs.
* Electronics charging available at each overnight stop.
* Massage therapists available (approximately $1.00/minute).
* Charity auction for Camp Courageous (CUBS supported charity).
See the RAGBRAI and CUBS websites for detailed training, prep/packing, and ride info
Cancellations / Refunds
Handle directly with CUBS - full refund if cancel by June 2013.
Important Dates to Remember - Mark Your Calendar!
Jan 15th: Initial deposit of $350+ due
Feb 10th: Kickoff brunch
Mar 15th: Second installment of $250 due
May 15th: Final installment of $225 due
June 23rd, 5 pm: Meet-and-Greet Pizza Party at Lou Malnati's, 6649 N Lincoln Ave, Lincolnwood. Cost: approximately $15/person, pay at the door.
Jul 20th: Leave for RAGBRAI!
The following are officially registered to ride with the CUBS Team:
Cheryl D and (1) Guest
Pam W and (2) Guests
Lee Rogowski and (1) Guest
Larry G will be riding RAGBRAI but not with the CUBS team - we look forward to sharing some pie and beer on the route!