Learn Stand Up Paddleboarding this Labor Day weekend! Fall is the most beautiful time of year on Occoquan Reservoir. Get ready to see the fall colors this year from a stand Up Paddleboard (SUP).
This is a 2-hour ACA course called "Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding." Below is a detailed outline. The park normally charges $40 for this training, but our meetup group only pays $35 and all the equipment is provided. You need to register through me for now because the park web site is not set up for online registration yet. I can accommodate 5 students at a time. I am an ACA (American Canoe Association) Level 2 instructor and I will issue you a ACA card upon completion.
EVERYTHING below is Challenge by Choice. You can opt out of anything you don't feel comfortable doing (falling in the water, remounting, pivot turns, etc.)
Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboading
The course will start with a 20-minute on shore presentation, with 90 minutes on the water, and ending with a 10-minute wrap up on land. The following outline includes the highlights, but more will be covered.
On shore presentation:
• Personal clothing
• Safety equipment such as PFD’s
• Board terminology• Paddle orientation and use
• Board carries
On the water:
• Launching and landing
• Positions on the board – prone, sitting, kneeling, standing
• Proper falling techniques• Unassisted remounting of your board in the water
• Strokes – forward sweep, reverse sweep, basic forward and reverse strokes, draw strokes, bracing, safe shoulder paddling techniques
• Maneuvering the board (paddling in straight line, stopping, turns, spinning the board with a pivot turn)
• Use of a board leash
• How the ACA can help you
• Tips on purchasing equipment
• Next steps to developing your skills
• Opportunities to paddle with others
For a complete description of this course, click the following link and choose “Level 1: Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding.”https://aca.site-ym.com/?page=Courses_SUP
NOTE: We will add additional sections of this class on this weekend if this section fills up.