This is a 3 hour ACA course called "Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding." Below is a detailed outline. The park charges $40 for this training, which includes all equipment needed. In order to be part of this class you MUST register and pay for the class through Prince William County Parks and Recreation. Here are the directions for doing that:
If the link doesn't work, just Google Lake Ridge Park and Marina and choose "Login."
You will need to establish a login name and password.
After you log in, scroll down to "Activities by Location."
Choose Lake Ridge Golf and Marina "Activities"
Scroll down to Stand Up Paddle Board and choose the 9:00 AM Class on July 19.
The first 5 people to register through the Prince William County Parks and Recreation site will be in the class, NOT the first 5 to RSVP "yes" on this meetup site. This is an official county parks and recreation class, which is why we can offer it at half the going rate. Email or call me if you have trouble registering (Pete at[masked] cell)
To ensure a high quality class, only 5 students are allowed at a time. I am an ACA (American Canoe Association) Level 2 instructor and I will issue you a ACA card upon completion.
Come in clothes that can get wet, such as synthetics that dry quickly. Most people prefer paddling barefoot, but water shoes are also good for walking to the ramp and back.
EVERYTHING below is Challenge by Choice. You can opt out of anything you don't feel comfortable doing (falling in the water, remounting, pivot turns, etc.)
Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboading (SUP)
The course will start with a 30-minute on shore presentation, with 2 hours on the water, and ending with a 30-minute wrap up on land. The following outline includes the highlights, but more will be covered.
On shore presentation:
• Personal clothing
• Safety equipment such as PFD’s
• Board terminology• Paddle orientation and use
• Board carries
On the water:
• Launching and landing
• Positions on the board – prone, sitting, kneeling, standing
• Proper falling techniques• Unassisted remounting of your board in the water
• Strokes – forward sweep, reverse sweep, basic forward and reverse strokes, draw strokes, bracing, safe shoulder paddling techniques
• Maneuvering the board (paddling in straight line, stopping, turns, spinning the board with a pivot turn)
• Use of a board leash
• How the ACA can help you
• Tips on purchasing equipment
• Next steps to developing your skills
• Opportunities to paddle with others
For a complete description of this course, click the following link and choose “Level 1: Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding.”https://aca.site-ym.com/?page=Courses_SUP