Lakewood Mountain Biking "LMB" Message Board LMB Rules, Levels and Guidelines › What should I bring? / How do I prepare?

What should I bring? / How do I prepare?

A former member
Post #: 10
In short;

• A well prepared you!
  • A bike in good working condition.

Being prepared is the most important thing you can do! MTB could be the hardest thing you have ever done or maybe the easiest.

These are just my opinions of what would be a good starting point.

A well prepared you.

• You should be able to work out for the time of the ride.
  • Riding gear, bike shorts or something comfortable remember you will be on your butt a lot. A comfortable shirt
    preferably a wicking shirt and maybe layers depending on the weather. A firm pair of shoes, most mtb shoes have a stiff sole so the pedals don't dig into your feet. Gloves, comfy padded gloves. Sunglasses to keep bugs and dirt out of your eyes. Sunblock, Colorado, need I say more. Please don't forget helmets. Be careful of really loose clothing as it can cause problems if it snags on something.
  • You WILL need water! Plan on it. A bottle of water works just fine as long as you bring enough for the whole trip and some extra if something unplanned happens. A snack is also a good idea.
  • A cell phone can be handy but you won't always get service.
  • A small bike tool kit, tire patches, air pump. It is never a good idea to depend on someone else for the things that can get you home.
  • You don't have to have bike specific stuff but it does help.Comfort is the key.
  • Lastly a great attitude will work wonders in all situations. It can make or break the ride all by itself!

Here is a link­ to the list of things I bring in my pack. They are the things I or someone else have needed on the trail.

A good working bike.

• If you don't know if it's broken or in shape, take it in to a bike shop and get a tune-up. A broken bike can ruin a ride fast. Just imagine going down a steep hill and your brakes decide they don't want to brake when needed most.
  • Tires that grip the trail. They don't have to be new but you don't want worn out tires that slide. That just screams I want to bleed!