Land Ops Message Board Land Ops, Geocaching Sports Discussion Forum › MISSING MAN gives Land Ops a big thank you

MISSING MAN gives Land Ops a big thank you

Chris D.
user 11380112
Group Organizer
Garden Grove, CA
OPERATORS,

As you know, the couple that was missing since Saturday (Tony and Helen) were finally rescued after being stranded 3 days in a remote area of Joshua Tree.

Land Ops operator Fernando Ramirez (KJ6YOS) was sweeping the area yesterday to see where the lost truck was still at. He ran into Tony, the rescued man, who was out and about with his friends looking for his own truck. The helicopter pilot gave them the coordinates where he was picked up so they are heading out again.

When Fernando explained that we were about to deploy to help find him he was so very appreciative. He sends the whole group a great thank you. See the attached picture of Tony (left) and Fernando in Joshua Tree.

Chris Doering, Land Ops

Mercedes
goldensun
Torrance, CA
Post #: 28
KUDOS, FERNANDO....!!!
Chris D.
user 11380112
Group Organizer
Garden Grove, CA
Post #: 19
OPERATORS,

Location report: Operator - Fernando Ramirez KJ6YOS fully deployed to Joshua Tree upon hearing the news of the missing couple (Tony and Helen). He has provided us with the coordinates where they were stranded.

I understand he continued to search for the vehicle after the couple was found and yesterday met up with the rescued man and his friends as they were trying to recover the vehicle. It was in a very very bad location. I also understand Fernando destroyed 2 tires going in and smashed and broke his winch. So you can imagine how treacherous is was. He wrote to me and said that the recovery team brought in tires, but they will need more tires since they also lost 2. It sounds like this vehicle may be fully recovered tomorrow.

WATCH VIDEO You can view the short video showing the stranded vehicle location
at the LAND OPS HOME (WATCH VIDEO)Land Ops home page

p.s. Fernando, now is a great time to upgrade to Kevlar sidewalls. Sergio and I just upgraded with new Goodyear MT/R's with Kevlar.
Mercedes
goldensun
Torrance, CA
Post #: 30
Considering the terrain as explained, I am surprised that the couple was found injured. C - did you have a chance to cover Fernando via ham radio? Looking fwd to our upcoming meeting/s to hotwash Fernando's experience while it is fresh in his mind so it can be incorporated to the upcoming joint SAR event (parallel tracking wheels v. foot, layered ham radio comms w/the other teams, etc). PS: I only knew KEVLAR-materials in motorcycle jackets.... wow, on tires too...!?
Fernando R.
user 60948812
Highland, CA
Post #: 2
This turned out to an interesting adventure ! if you count all the tire flats (both punctures & sidewall casualties ) i counted "9" in all, including the 3 Tony suffered when he got lost initially & 2 more at extraction. Wow!! kevlar is looking great at this point. although this operation had some cost to it, overall it was great, I got to exercise my skills in guiding them to there truck. Hats off to his friend David with The Dodge, He and I worked great together and he pushed his vehicle hard as well.
Fernando KJ6YOS

Chris D.
user 11380112
Group Organizer
Garden Grove, CA
Post #: 20
I know you carry two spares on your roof. This is a good idea when taking your vehicle to the rough zone. Last op I slit a sidewall. After throwing on the spare I then realized I don't have anymore back ups. After seeing how Sergio drives (straight, like an airplane) and he's never gotten a sidewall flat or any flat off road, I said "I better upgrade!" Surprisingly I got a pair for $202 each 30" x 10.5" on 15's plus tax and install. Anything to give you higher performance when performance really matters. Better the gear, better your chances especially if we are making ourselves available for rescue and recovery. I look forward to hearing your detailed account.
Fernando R.
user 60948812
Highland, CA
Post #: 3
I'm looking into the kevlar tires, As i wrote earlier that we kind of had an "off-the record" go-ahead to recover the truck which is what made it so cool searching in that location. Tony told me that they slept 2 nights in the truck, he would run it with the heater for short periods. he made a decision to leave the truck hiking , the third night they slept on a soft portion of a sandy wash with no blankets, imagine that!! As we got closer to the location we could not believe he got this far out, he said all he remembers was driving through wash after wash in the dark. I really liked the search aspect i think it would be neat to participate in other ones . Although i had some knowledge of that area, i had prepared a game plan the night we were preparing to go, just before we were informed they were recovered. I took all the maps and information such names, numbers, clues, etc. when i showed the binder i put together it really impressed them!
Chris D.
user 11380112
Group Organizer
Garden Grove, CA
Post #: 21
Well, it is fitting. I guess I would expect nothing less from someone who finds lost aircraft in the middle of nowhere. If anyone wants to see where Fernando has been finding aircraft crash sites go to his web-site at http://aircraftcrashs...­

Chris
Chris (Black D.
user 3941288
San Diego, CA
Post #: 798
I figured I would always haev extra tires on board but after reading these acounts I think I'm going to look into Kevlar. Are they put to use all the time or do you swap out your tires once you get to the dirt?

And hey Fernando, I know of a cool helicopter crash site. I think it's supposed to be a secret so I won't post the coordinates. I can describe it to you later.
Fernando R.
user 60948812
Highland, CA
Post #: 4
Hey Chris, I would like to know about the helicopter crash site, most of the sites are kept secret because some people will vandalize them or take parts away. It's always good to preserve them for other searchers and finding these secret sites is what makes it fun!