Land Ops Message Board Land Ops, Geocaching Sports Discussion Forum › Good radio to start?

Good radio to start?

John
Gooey
San Dimas, CA
Post #: 1
http://losangeles.cra...­

Hello fellow operators. I'm new to the group and would like to start acquiring some gear. I'm planning on taking my HAM test this Saturday and was wondering if this might be a good starter radio. I was looking for a handheld and it fits nice in my budget. What do you all think?
Phin B.
Phin
Newport Beach, CA
Post #: 43
Where are you taking the test I need to take it too?
Chris D.
user 11380112
Group Organizer
Garden Grove, CA
Post #: 24
I'm hoping others will chime in before you need to make your purchase. I'm a simple guy so I have a single band HT Yaesu VX-170. Pretty inexpensive, but my next HT will be a dual band....probably Yaesu. Study Study, pass pass!!
John
Gooey
San Dimas, CA
Post #: 2
I'm taking the test this Saturday at Brackett Air field in La Verne. Walk-ins are welcome and it starts at one. It takes place at the lounge. I've studied and I think I'll pass. I'm just cramming right now to remember some of the frequency stuff.

I've done more research on a radio and it looks like Yaesu is the brand to stick with. I'm thinking about getting the FT-60r Dual Band. It runs around $150. Yaesu is also offereing a rebate on some of their models. Not this one though.
Andy S.
KJ6VZX
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Post #: 56
I have a single band (2m) Yaesu 2900R in my truck, but for handheld I use a Baofeng dual band (2m & 440) U5R, with an extended antenna & a clip on speaker/mic. Works great & it's only about $50 on Fleabay.
John
Gooey
San Dimas, CA
Post #: 3
Passed the Test! Missed 2. Now to decide on an HT. :)
Chris D.
user 11380112
Group Organizer
Garden Grove, CA
Post #: 25
Congratulations...welcome to ham radio!
John
Gooey
San Dimas, CA
Post #: 4
Picked up a Yaesu VX-6R yesterday from Ham Radio Outlet down in Anaheim. Real nice people down there. Thought about going a cheaper route, but really wanted a good brand and something that I can drop in the stream when hunting or fishing and not worry about it.
Mercedes
goldensun
Torrance, CA
Post #: 114
Search for [Just Curious] heading for prior discussions on this matter (I have a posting on Feb 6 related to this question).
John
Gooey
San Dimas, CA
Post #: 5
HAM database is updated. My call sign is KK6EBZ.