Las Vegas Developers Message Board › Node.js Boot camp preparation!

Node.js Boot camp preparation!

Steve W.
user 9497095
Key West, FL
(Below is the email from the organizer of Node.js Boot Camp, Steve Seow. If you haven't done so, please RSVP for this event at http://www.eventbrite...­[/url])

Hey all,
Thank you for signing up to attend Saturday's Node.js boot camp!

Tim and I are startup evangelists with Microsoft and your co-host for the boot camp.

During the boot camp, we'll introduce you to the fundamentals of Node.js and acquaint you with the "Lego" pieces that you can use to build your first Node.js app on Windows Azure. Watch this teaser video by the founder of Node.js: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_B4LTHi3I­. That said, we would like to get everyone prepared and ready for the boot camp so we don't spend too much time with setting up your laptops for development, etc.

Before we dive in.... Please follow me on Twitter (@SteveSeow, @tstrimple) and let me know if there are similar boot camps (Windows 8? Windows Azure?) that you would like to see. Ping me directly if you want to uncover the resources available to you as a startup from Microsoft.

Okay, let's go....
[/url]Getting Started
You're going to need a couple of things to get set up to follow along and start to build your very first Node.JS web app. There are obviously a plethora of alternatives to choose from, but we have listed tools that we love, have found useful, and will use for the boot camp.
[/url]1. CODING
You are going to need to need a good tool to do the actual coding. We recommend using Sublime Text 2. Here're the direct download links:
* download for OS X
* download for PC
For PC users who love to work with a GUI (Graphic User Interface) development tool, we highly recommend WebMatrix 2 from Microsoft (although time will not permit us to show you how cool it is).

[/url]2. NODE.JS RUNTIME
You will be using your laptop or desktop to do the majority of the coding and testing it periodically locally on your machine before deploying it to the cloud. This means that your machine will need the files needed to execute and run Node.js files locally. Here're the direct download links:
* download for OS X
* download for PC
(Go to Nodejs.org for other downloads, such as the 64-bit version.)
[/url]3. DEPLOYING YOUR PROJECT
Obviously, your Node.js project is a web app, and a web app will need to be deployed to the cloud. In this boot camp, we are using Windows Azure from Microsoft. In order to deploy to Azure, you will need an Azure Subscription. There are several ways to get an Azure subscription:
* MSDN Subscription - If you have an active MSDN subscription, you have a year of free Azure.
* BizSpark - If you have BizSpark, you have MSDN. In fact, you have 3 years of free MSDN through BizSpark. If you are a privately-held startup, under 5 years old, and making less than $1m in revenue, you qualify for BizSpark. Ask me about this or read about it here: www.BizSpark.com
* 90-day trial - You can go to Azure.com and sign up for a trial account. Direct download links:
Windows Azure Free Trial

Special event passes - For this boot camp, we have prepared special event passes that goes anywhere from 7 to 30 days. Obviously, this is not meant to be a long-term subscription, but meant for learning or demo purposes. I will have enough of these passes. All you have to do is go to the Azure portal and log in with the LiveID credentials we give you. These will be given out on Saturday.

[/url][/url]4. MANAGING AND STORING YOUR PROJECTS
GIT is a distributed revision control and source code management system. It helps you manage your project, and does it well.

You will need to install GIT into your development machine:
* download for OS X
* download for PC
IMPORTANT for PC Users: During the installation of Git, choose the option that states "Run Git from the Windows Command Prompt".
If you do not already have a GitHub account, create one. GitHub is a web-based hosting for your project. It's free and it integrates with a lot of development tools. Check out the walkthrough on their main page for a quick orientation.

GitHub has some really nifty tools you can install on your laptop to help you manage your project files. We highly recommend them. Here're the direct download links:
* download for OS X (for 10.7+)
* download for PC
5. SDK - SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT
In order for your Node.js app to be deployed from your machine to Windows Azure, you are going to need the Node.js SDK for Windows Azure. Here's the direct download links:
* download for OS X
* download for PC

6. USEFUL THINGS TO BRING
* Feel free to bring along a power strip just in case the venue doesn't have enough power outlets. There will be Internet connectivity, but a Mi-Fi like devices might come in handy as well. We tried our best to get breakfast and lunch that will accommodate most folks, but feel free to bring your own food and snacks if you have any dietary restrictions. If your laptop doesn't have a VGA port built in, don't forget to bring the dongle that comes with it (because you will be showing off your work at the end of the day).

See you this Saturday!

Steve

Technical Evangelist | Microsoft
425-706-7486 | 425-753-8860 (cell) | @SteveSeow