add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Las Vegas PHP Users Group Message Board › SVN vs Git

SVN vs Git

Aaron L.
user 5923951
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 1
Last night I asked people at the Launch Key event about using SVN vs Git and EVERYONE said Git over SVN. I asked at work and they said that the reason that we use SVN is because it allows our admins to selectively grant access to the various repositories (i.e., project A but not project B, or project A branch A but not the trunk) and with varying levels of read/write permissions. They seem to be under the impression that this would not be possible with Git biz account. I can't find an official doc that suggests one way or the other. Does anyone know if this can be done with Git?

Adam E.
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 7
The best answer would be "that depends". If you are talking about using Github or BitBucket, you would use forking and pull requests to prevent write access to the core repo. If you are talking about rolling your own, there are options available with the existing servers or commit hooks can be used.

If you are going to be using private repos in Github or Bitbucket, you would likely need to totally reconsider how you handle your workflow. Forking and pull requests have a lot of advantages to branching and merging for certain.