The Las Vegas Writers Group Message Board › Proposed covers for my e-book, THE KONA SHUFFLE

Proposed covers for my e-book, THE KONA SHUFFLE

A former member
Post #: 5
I've developed some covers for my novel, THE KONA SHUFFLE, which I hope to self-/e-pub by the end of the year. You'll find them at the line at the bottom of this pos; I appreciate comments, criticisms and suggestions. I also have run these by some graphic artist friends who have provided insights which I've incorporated into some of the designs.

For reference, here's a brief synopsis of the book:

Welcome to Hawaii, where the island's hottest rocks aren’t in the volcano – they're lost somewhere in sunny Kona. And some folks'll do anything to find them.

Hawaiian private investigator Noelani B. Lee, hired by an unscrupulous Kona jeweler to find a shipment of stolen gold and jewels, soon finds herself matching wits with the scheming courier who lost the rocks and the double-crossing brothers he betrayed. But greed and bedlam ensue as four black backpacks – one of which contains the jewelry – mysteriously begin changing hands. Noelani soon realizes anyone – a coddled college kid, the Pacific Rim's premier foot model and her juiced-up ballplayer husband, a local restaurateur with a short temper and her illegitimate, petty-thieving son – could have the valuable stash.

With help from her gregarious cousin and her own gift for disguise, Noelani sorts through the avarice and backstabbing to find the pilfered jewelry, while at the same time she decides what to do about some embarrassing secrets she uncovers along the way.

Thanks again, your comments mean a lot to me.

http://tinyurl.com/7enm4fc­

A former member
Post #: 3
I think they look ok...I kinda like the one in position 8...having said that, the following is a personal opinion.... Having recently self pubbed on Amazon and Smashwords, in research I did I found that a professional looking cover was very important...and can add to sales...this does not mean your cover proposals aren't.

I spent a few months playing with designs and finally decided to have one made. I then spent a lot time until settling on a specific designer until I found the one I used. My point is just that you're doing the right thing, ask around and get opinions and then decide which way to go.

TOm
Craig R.
CraigRuark
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 1
I think cover #5 (last one lower right), will display the best. The yellow, red and blue words on the other books may not translate well into other formats and some people cannot distinguish those colors at all. You want your title and name to stand out.
medleyguy
medleyguy
Needles, CA
I like the second cover. The lettering size and color work well with the images.
A former member
Post #: 15
Hi Tom - congrats! I just commented on your blog, rather than here.
Good luck,
-peg
A former member
Post #: 5
Of the covers pictured, I like the third one on the top row since the title and your name pop out at you more than the other covers.
Good title but it sort of implies a comedy or maybe a romantic comedy of some sort. The figure of the doll doesn't really suggest anything to me, but it does go along with the possibility that story is a comedy, which it might be to some degree.
Maybe you could think of something that includes a picture of the Hawaiian detective, possibly a girl pulling off a phony mustache disguise and looking questioningly at a diamond or a magnifying glass and include a description of what the story is about. A simple example would be "Exotic detective tracks the missing diamond" - something that will intrigue the reader into pushing the button for a sample of the text (if on Amazon.)
Might suggest that if you have a number of pictures commissioned, you consider having a number of them of completely different scenes.
Good luck, hope that my humble suggestions is of some value to you.
A former member
i am not sure, but i think i replied re meeting on 19, july. i still plan to be there, looking forward to meeting you. claudia lang-britsch
A former member
Post #: 7
I think they look ok...I kinda like the one in position 8...having said that, the following is a personal opinion.... Having recently self pubbed on Amazon and Smashwords, in research I did I found that a professional looking cover was very important...and can add to sales...this does not mean your cover proposals aren't.

I spent a few months playing with designs and finally decided to have one made. I then spent a lot time until settling on a specific designer until I found the one I used. My point is just that you're doing the right thing, ask around and get opinions and then decide which way to go.

TOm

Hi Tom do you mean this one?
http://headfirstintot...­
A former member
Post #: 8
i am not sure, but i think i replied re meeting on 19, july. i still plan to be there, looking forward to meeting you. claudia lang-britsch

Wayne, I like that one as well, although the one directly below it includes colors recommended b a graphic artist I work with. She suggested the reddish/brown font for the title and yellow for my name to make them stand out. Although, I thought the black worked well, too.
A former member
Post #: 9
I like the second cover. The lettering size and color work well with the images.

Thanks.