align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Las Vegas Writers Group Message Board › Has anyone published an e-book via Amazon/Kindle?

Has anyone published an e-book via Amazon/Kindle?

A former member
Post #: 5
Mike suggested authors hire a professional editor. Where does one find such a beast?
Ray,

There are a lot out there, but one I used was thEditors, http://theditors.com/...­ The nice thing is that they give individual attention, advice, and more than one read through at a very reasonable price.
A former member
Post #: 28
Thanks Sue, I'll check them out.
A former member
Post #: 1
I've published 4 vegan cookbooks (The Unintentional Vegan series) and 1 humorous picture book about my cats via Amazon. To help market these books, I started a blog at: unintentionalvegan.com. I've also been an active participant at a vegan chat board forum, the Happy Cow and have even blogged for this site. As word of mouth spreads and visitors to my blog have increased, sales have slowly started to take off. It's been a slow process but I think in time, my e-books will generate a modest supplemental income.

The biggest thing I've noticed with novice authors who publish via Amazon is that for reasons unknown, they think they'll publish and will immediately begin raking in huge royalties. Many new authors fail to sell even a single book. Self marketing is crucial.

As an alternative to Amazon, authors might want to check out smashwords.com. Smashwords acts as a middleman - distributing ebooks to Amazon, Sony, Apple, etc. It offers the potential of a much larger market. The only drawback is that your manuscript has to be properly formatted. The user guide isn't particularly user friendly when it comes to identifying and fixing problems. The site offers a list of experienced smashword authors who will reformat your work for a modest fee.