The Las Vegas Writers Group Message Board › Tomboy Notes: Great program for world building

Tomboy Notes: Great program for world building

Bryan F.
bryanfox
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 47
Once again, if you don't want to spend the money on a program like Scrivener to maintain your notes while you write your novel, then Tomboy Notes is a very effective solution. Like LibreOffice, it's free for Windows, Mac, and Linux. You need to install GTK to run it (also free) and the installer will tell you where to get it if you don't have it.

If you've used Stickies on MacOS, it's similar to that, but with more features that come in handy for world building (and plenty of plugins for additional features).

I like to start with creating a notebook (collection of notes, sort of like a folder) for each book series I'm working on (if you're working on only one novel, this is unnecessary). From there, I create a synopsis note with my book title and a one of two liner sentence about the overall plot.

The program does Wikipedia style linking, so if a if you write something in your notes that matches the title of a note, it will automatically create a link to that other note. For example, I have individual notes for all my character profiles, and another for my plot outline. If a character is mentioned in the outline, it will link to the character's bio if I need reference.

Tomboy unfortunately doesn't support pictures, but with a plugin, it might. Other handy features are that you can sync your note collections across multiple computers and a big one is the program autosaves.
A former member
Post #: 2
Oh, that sounds very useful and interesting. I'll have to download that!