The Las Vegas Writers Group Message Board › Kindle Lending Library

Kindle Lending Library

Lynsee S.
ladymuse82
Henderson, NV
Post #: 18
When I first published my first book on Kindle I signed it up for the Kindle Lending Library as well. One of the requirements of having a book in the KLL is a 90-day agreement to have Amazon as your sole distriuter for the book in e-format. The perks of being in the KLL come from a rather large financial fund that Amazon prepares each month and then divides evenly to authors who's books are in the KLL based on the number of "borrows" each book gets (I think it was like $600,000 last month). Sounds great right?

Well I had one of my books in the KLL for 6 months and the other was in there for 3. I SOLD over 1,000 copies of my book on Kindle but didn't have a single "borrow" in the KLL the entire time. Meanwhile I was receiving requests from people to put my book on B&N so that they could buy it for their Nook.

I quickly realized that I was locked into this 90-day agreement (automatically renewable unless you opt-out ahead of time) that was making me absolutely no money while simultaneously losing potential sales with other distributors.

Now I'm not saying that the KLL is a bad situation for everyone. There may even be some in this group that have had a completely different experience with the KLL and, if there are, I would love to hear your success stories. But I felt it prudent to share my own personal experience with the group for the benefit of those who have previousl expressed interest in publishing for Kindle.

Again, this is just my own experience. Yours may be completely different. AND, you don't have to sign the 90-day KLL agreement to publish on Kindle. Kindle purchases and the KLL are separate so you can publish on Kindle, Nook, etc. without using the KLL but if you choose to use the KLL then you can only publish on Kindle for e-format. Just wanted to put that out there and open it up for discussion.
Carolyn M.
user 11559745
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 6
Had my books up for only 3 months so far and only 1 borrow on 1 book, so I tend to agree with you about the Kindle select option. The one thing I do like is that I can put it up for free for 5 days to get it out there for exposure, but after this next 90 day period I'll probably check out how to get my books up on Nook as well. Thanks again for the good info. See you at the meeting.
Lynsee S.
ladymuse82
Henderson, NV
Post #: 19
Had my books up for only 3 months so far and only 1 borrow on 1 book, so I tend to agree with you about the Kindle select option. The one thing I do like is that I can put it up for free for 5 days to get it out there for exposure, but after this next 90 day period I'll probably check out how to get my books up on Nook as well. Thanks again for the good info. See you at the meeting.

I believe, though I may be wrong, that you'll still have your 5 day free promotions each quarter even if you opt out of the KLL.