The Las Vegas Writers Group Message Board › Proposed covers for my e-book, THE KONA SHUFFLE

Proposed covers for my e-book, THE KONA SHUFFLE

A former member
Post #: 10
I think cover #5 (last one lower right), will display the best. The yellow, red and blue words on the other books may not translate well into other formats and some people cannot distinguish those colors at all. You want your title and name to stand out.

Thanks, Craig. I am nowhere close to publishing this thing yet I'm fretting like crazy over fonts, colors, etc.
So in other words, you think the all-black title and name work best?
A former member
Post #: 16
Hi again Tom - as per your message to me about font choices on your eBook cover, I thought I'd respond here.

I've actually just written a blog post about this subject, as I had it in draft mode anyway. You can read it here: http://www.wizardofeb...­

Bottom line: trust your instinct. If it looks readable and attractive, go with it. No need to obsess. :)
-peg
Marilyn B.
user 7482936
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 4
Okay, Tom, I guess I'm the bad guy. None of these would be my first choice. The clamation does not indicate an adult target market, and it does not look well executed or professional. It also does not seem to be related to the title. There's no shuffling, the jewelry is an indistinct tumble and not rich looking, and the hula dancer is irrelevant--a palm tree, maybe some sand too, are universal symbols of the tropics. "Kona" says Hawaii. If the action centers around shuffling gems, I might depict one single, vividly faceted stone precariously peeking out of a backpack in a tropical setting. Perhaps a closeup so that someone could even be wearing the backpack but we could not tell who or even what gender. A Spielberg camera angle. Or same gem partially revealed under one of the cups in a shell game (shuffling in a way), in a tropical setting. Maybe a photograph photoshopped to diffuse the edges over all but accentuate the gem sparkle. Just some notions for brainstorming. Who is the target market? What would grab their attention?

Marilyn
A former member
Post #: 17
I think Marylin makes some excellent points and suggestions. No, you're not the bad guy. :)
Craig R.
CraigRuark
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 2
I agree with Marilyn as well, great observation.
A former member
Post #: 11
Well my bacon is being saved -- a graphic artist I work with is creating an all-new cover. She is extremely talented and knows what she's doing, as opposed to a rank amateur like me who has a vision in mind but has difficulty making a reality due primarily to limited software capabilities and skills. Anyway, once she has a new cover made I'm happy to share it with all of you.