addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Las Vegas Writers Group Message Board › Net Neutrality -- how it's being threatened, and why you (as a writer) shoul

Net Neutrality -- how it's being threatened, and why you (as a writer) should care

A former member
Post #: 1
What is "Net Neutrality"?

If you "Google" it, the search engine will cough up this definition immediately for you:

net·work neu·tral·i·ty
noun
the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites.

Why should I care?

If you're intending on maintaining a presence on the internet and promote your material, independent author or not, the very idea that this principle is in the process of being compromised should, in my humble opinion, scare the hell out of you. And just today, that compromise appears to have begun.

If you're unfamiliar with this, or hadn't caught the story, the linked article from the Chicago Tribune, "FCC proposes compromise on 'net neutrality', real fight still pending," should give you a picture of what's happening.

A better discussion (again, in my opinion) of the import of what this FCC ruling means to you and me, is to be found here, in this Electronic Frontier Foundations article on Net Neutrality.

At this time, the FCC ruling is, by law, open to public comments regarding the issue for 60 days. I urge to you comment. The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has gone so far as to create an online tool to simplify the commenting process, which you can find on their website dedicated to this issue, "Dear FCC." Also, the website Gawker has provided instructions on how to go about the process yourself without the EFF's online tool, which you can find here.

I ask you to look into this issue. I feel certain if you understand it clearly, you will see this is bad business for us, not just as writers, but as users of the internet, and I urge you to at very least make a public comment in opposition to the FCC. There are other steps you can take that will present themselves over the next few weeks, and even a cursory examination of the news will identify activist groups you can support now to help oppose this. (I speculate that we may see a major lawsuit from the big players, such as Amazon, Google, and/or Facebook who have already expressed their opposition.)

Thank you for your time.

Daniel