Multi Day Trip: Mt. Sill

  • August 16, 2013 · 6:30 PM

 

THIS TRIP HAS BEEN CHANGED.

It is a 2-day backpacking trip to climb Mt. Sill, a 14er of the High Sierra.  The peak will involve some of Class 3, possibly class 4 depending on route.

Tentative plan is to depart from Vegas Friday night and camp near the trailhead. Saturday we plan to get an early start and hike up S. Fork of Big Pine Creek, then head up to Elinore Lake where we will probably camp. Sunday, we will summit and hike out, then drive home.

Route is subject to change based on permit availability.

Total Distance: 18 miles round trip
Total Elevation Gain: 7000'
Altitude:[masked],153'
Terrain Description: Class 1 trail-Class 3+
Approximate Hiking Time: Two full days

 

 

Please remember to answer the questions after RSVPing. If you are using a phone, the questions will not appear. Therefore, please check back again to answer the questions.

 

To participate in this outing, you must be a current, paid member of LVMC. You can obtain a membership via this link: http://www.lvmc.org/w.... The fee is $40 per year for a family/roommates or $30 per year for an individual. Please contact your organizer if you have any questions.

 

 

Join or login to comment.

  • Thomas S.

    Here's an interesting point indeed:

    Bob Burd climbed all 247 peaks on the SPS list - as day hikes.

    Here's the link:

    http://www.snwburd.com/bob/

    Courtesy of Dan Backster

    August 19, 2013

    • Harlan S.

      For a backpack, reserve a backcountry permit for the North Fork Pine Creek MONTHS in advance. That's a very popular trailhead; popular weekends in July and August are filled up by April, and in normal years, it's a snow and ice climb before late August.

      August 23, 2013

    • Jodie

      Harlan....I am not even looking into any major hiking for a while...it was a hypothetical. But, thanks.

      August 23, 2013

  • Rich

    Difficult and exhausting. Everyone kicked my butt.

    August 18, 2013

  • Harlan S.

    Good on y'all!

    August 18, 2013

    • Rich

      I don't have a fb account.

      August 18, 2013

    • Rich

      Post on Meetup please.

      August 18, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Outstanding outing. Pushed everything to everybody's limit.

    August 18, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Did anybody reserve a campground? I booked Sat nite at Motel 6 in Bishop but eouldn't mind sharing a campround. Save $104 plus tax.

    August 16, 2013

    • Collin K.

      Or do you mean you are leaving Vegas at 8-10 pm tonight?

      August 16, 2013

    • Thomas S.

      I'm doing the day hike 4am. I'm driving right now. At Mt Charleston. No backpack.

      August 16, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    I am in Bishop right now and it is boiling hot. Same is indicated thru Sat. Lots of H2O required.

    August 14, 2013

    • Joel B.

      Me too.

      August 14, 2013

    • Harlan S.

      A 3 ounce sawyer filter bag might be nice... You will also see water on the Palisade at ~12000'. Once at Glacier Notch above 13000', you can cache. Good luck, don't rush, watch out for each other. Sierra water is generally clean... just don't drink where people poop ;^) .

      August 15, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    I just got an email notification that the trip has changed to a 2 day backpack now. Is it a day hike or a backpack?

    August 15, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Does anybody got sites reserved?

    August 15, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    I guess Sage Flat Campground is Birch Campground.

    August 14, 2013

    • Collin K.

      Thomas, check ur email..We will meet at Big Pine campground

      August 14, 2013

    • Thomas S.

      I got your email. I will meet you guys at the Big Pine Creek Campground at 4am Sat. Thanks.

      August 14, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Per the Weather Channel it is 97°F now (2:57pm).

    August 14, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    There is no Birch Campground on Glacier Lodge Road.
    There is Sage Flat Campground, Upper Sage Flat Campground and Big Pine Creek Campground. Which one of those.

    Yes Collin, I will drive you home Sunday Morning.

    August 14, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Where, exactly, is Birch campground?

    August 13, 2013

    • BMS914

      Take W Crocker St in Big Pine heading west. It turns into Glacier Lodge Rd. Birch Campground is 8 to 9 miles down on Glacier Lodge Rd.

      August 14, 2013

    • Thomas S.

      There is NO Birch Campground on Glacier Lodge Road.

      August 14, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Ok. I'll be at the Birch Campground entrance 4am on Sat morning.

    August 14, 2013

  • Harlan S.

    If any of you know Mike Brooks or Jim Egan, you can ask them about doing Sill as a dayhike from North Fork -- no permits needed, a long day, but with much lighter packs and most gain via trail. An option, if all else fails. You will still need to cross some snow on the Palisade Glacier, but in low-snow years, one can stay mainly on the boulders. You just have to start the hike with headlamps.

    August 12, 2013

    • Harlan S.

      Note the comments (above) about skirting the glacier to avoid rockfall. Lots of water on way. Good trail up to Sam Mack Meadow at 11000'+, then there is a decent use trail to about 11800'. Good luck, weather looks good.

      August 13, 2013

    • Joel B.

      Thanks Harlan...and thanks for all your info.

      August 13, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    When and where do we meet Saturday the 17th?

    August 12, 2013

    • Collin K.

      I'll send out email instructions tonight Thomas

      August 12, 2013

    • Thomas S.

      Great. I'll shoot for the permits, for 5, Fri morn. That's the earliest without a reservation.

      August 12, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Why can't we still do N. Palisade? Had my heart set on it. It's a SPS (Sierra Club) Emblem Peak. I currently have 9 SPS peaks. I would have gotten my Emblem list finish with the SPS section of the Sierra Club.

    August 7, 2013

    • Thomas S.

      Good. I'll lighten my load.

      August 12, 2013

    • Harlan S.

      If any of you have access to Hiking Las Vegas, look at photo 9 (http://www.hikinglasv...­) for the low-snow walk around the L-couloir. This walk-around is almost always possible by August, except in high-snow years. I've known people to go aroun both sides of the snow, but usually on the east side.

      August 12, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Walk in permits, for next day, is allowed.

    August 8, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Dear Collin, Permit is not available for August 17th for either the North Fork or South Fork of the Big Pine Creek Th's JM 23 and JM 24.

    I will go to the RS in Bishop on Friday August 16th, as soon as they open, to get a permit for 5.

    Tom

    August 8, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Collin,

    I will submit a permit request for 5 for the following TH:

    Big Pine Creek South Fork JM24

    I'll get the permit as soon as you confirm. Thanks, Tom

    August 8, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    Dear Collin,

    I will be in the Bishop area Wed Thru Fri. 8/14 - 8/16.  I will be climbing peak (s) out of the Pine Creek TH area out of Rovana.  I will shoot for 5 permits for the South Fork of the Big Pine Creek (Glacier Lodge area out of Big Pine).  Second choice would be the North Fork.  I will also shoot for online permit reservation via the Recreation.Gov site.

    It is a sweet and sour blessing that North Pal was cancelled.   I really want to do it as an early spring snow climb via the infamous U-Notch.

    I will inform you of my progress and confirm the permits ASAP.

    Regards,

    Tom Sakowych

    August 6, 2013

    • Collin K.

      Great, Ill get in touch with you prior to Wed to confirm

      August 7, 2013

  • Joseph f K.

    Having not looked at approach routes extensively I cant say. I the past I have been denied a permit only to be granted one if I came from a alternate approach to other climbs. Perhaps an unorthodox route is called for.

    August 7, 2013

  • Thomas S.

    The SPS Emblem List finish requires 10 Emblem Peaks plus 15 additional SPS peaks.

    August 7, 2013

  • Harlan S.

    What happened?

    August 7, 2013

  • Harlan S.

    Also there is extreme loose rock danger on the LeConte Route -- big rocks

    May 10, 2013

  • Collin K.

    Sorry for the small group size, guys...Since we will be getting walk-up permits the day before, we wanted to keep the size down to better our chances. Also, think any more than 6 would have the potential to get very bottle necked when were climbing/rapping with ropes

    May 9, 2013

  • Harlan S.

    Boy this filled up quickly. I checked my mail then went to bed at 7:30pm, woke up at 6:30 am, and the waiting list already had 6 folks! I'm resupplying Heather and Jose around the tenth, and am supposed to be up there for a few days, so I may make the private trip before or after this one. If there isn't a big change soon, I'll pull off the list so other folks have more chance.

    May 9, 2013

    • Rico T.

      May I join too , Harlan ? I seem always on the waiting list forever ...

      May 9, 2013

    • Harlan S.

      I'll be on someone else's trip, will have to ask favors. Over and out.

      May 9, 2013

  • Harlan S.

    If too many folks, I'll plan a separate private trip, no worries.

    May 9, 2013

5 went

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create a Meetup Group and meet new people

Get started Learn more
Allison

Meetup has allowed me to meet people I wouldn't have met naturally - they're totally different than me.

Allison, started Women's Adventure Travel

Start your Meetup today

Act now and get 50% off.
Until February 1.

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy