Las Vegas Mountaineers Club Message Board Las Vegas Mountaineers Club Discussion › Hayford Peak - access?

Hayford Peak - access?

Kathy W.
KathyWing
Redlands, CA
Post #: 590
Does anyone know if there is a gate that might be locked on the drive to the trailhead for Hayford Peak due to the Government Shutdown? I'm thinking of Hayford and Virgin or Palmer and Grapevine for this coming weekend. I doubt there will be a gate on the dirt road for Grapevine/Palmer, but it sounds like there is some type of visitor center on the way to Hayford.
Joel B.
user 10722270
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 11
I don't believe there is a gate until right where you park. BTW, we are doing Palmer on 10/19, and I think there are a few of us doing Grapevine Sunday as well.
Laura N.
user 11208585
Porter Ranch, CA
Post #: 4
I just did Hayford on October 2nd and there is a barricade up. I choose to drive around it and there were no issues. There is some construction work going on at the visitor center that still continued despite the shutdown. I had the parking area to myself but as I was leaving another car was coming in with two hikers as well.
Harlan S.
hwstock
Jibuti, DJ
Post #: 334
Laura, where was the barricade? The official Dept of Interior policy is here:
http://www.doi.gov/sh...­

I guess some BLM folks are going out of their way to come up with fuzzy interpretations of "maintained" and "no controlled access." The road to Deadman Canyon was lightly bladed in 2005, but I don't think there has been any significant work since then.
Kathy W.
KathyWing
Redlands, CA
Post #: 591
Thanks everyone! Now I have to decide which way to go - it might be based on how much snow falls. Probably there will be less snow on Palmer/Grapevine than Hayford. It sounds like the roads in Death Valley took a beating in those storms this summer - I wonder if the road into Palmer/Grapevine did too. I guess I better get that tire that doesn't look so great replaced this week. If I do head out to Palmer/Grapevine, I'l report back on road conditions.
Laura N.
user 11208585
Porter Ranch, CA
Post #: 5
The barricade was right off of the highway, less than a mile. But really it is a non-issue. Kathy, there was absolutely no snow anywhere and I can't imagine that it is coming. The road in was just fine. I had my 4wd hc but didn't need it at all. The other car on that road was a little sedan with neither of those options and did just fine from what I saw.
Harlan S.
hwstock
Jibuti, DJ
Post #: 335
There is supposedly an 80% chance of snow tonight in the Hayford area, 3-5" possible accumulation at 9000'. Actually, I've been up there 2x after such a snow; it's pretty safe, and gaiters, extra socks and a gps are probably the most important gear. I can look to the north tomorrow (can see those mountains from the street corner) and tell you what I see. The same storm is supposed to hit Red Rock, and if it dumps there, there will likely be about the same amount in the Sheep Mts.
Kathy W.
KathyWing
Redlands, CA
Post #: 592
Thanks Harlan.
Harlan S.
hwstock
Jibuti, DJ
Post #: 336
I have a friend who hikes at night before work. He reports white-out conditions in the Spring Mts at about 9800', 3" snow already on the ground. He uses Katoolah microspikes in such conditions, if the ground gets frozen. Right now it is drizzling in Vegas (6:30AM Thursday), so I may not be able to see the mountains from here (due to clouds) till Friday morn. It is supposed to get to about 34F today in the high Sheep Mts, so the snow may not last.
Laura N.
user 11208585
Porter Ranch, CA
Post #: 6
Gosh, its nice to have a local weatherman. :)