Laughter is the Best Medicine and Fun Meetuphttp://www.meetup.com/Laughter-is-the-Best-Medicine-and-Fun-Meetup/https://a248.e.akamai.net/secure.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/4/b/3/2/global_7339250.jpeg20090216
It's all about fun and improving your health and well-being at the same time! Laughter IS truly the best medicine. There are many documented health benefits of laughing. Come and laugh with others who love to laugh! Our goal is to make everyone comfortable in a non-threatening environment. Want to reduce stress and feel good? We will use a variety of interactive games designed to stimulate group laughter. And we may just laugh for what may start out as no real reason--but will quickly become real!
We will employ a form of yoga called Hasya (Laughter) Yoga. Yoga is not just a set of physical exercises but an entire philosophy of being with the goal of achieving peace of mind and of body. Laughter Yoga is yet another path to this goal. Laughter Yoga is a worldwide social movement that aims to promote world peace through laughter. LY does not use yoga postures, only simple breathing techniques, eye contact, and child-like playfulness to elicit laughter.
The concept of Laughter Yoga was developed by Dr Madan Kataria, a medical doctor from Mumbai, India. In March 1995, Dr Kataria was researching an article for his health magazine on the benefits of laughter. He discovered an overwhelming body of scientific literature, that described in great detail the amazing health benefits of laughter.
Laughter is the Universal Language-- Everyone laughs-- It’s an Innate behavior. Babies start to laugh as early as 17 days old. The average 4 yr old laughs close to 400x/day; an average adult laughs 15x/day. If you miss those 385 "lost" laughs/day--come and join us!
There are many proven benefits of Laughter. Research has been done at the University of Maryland Medical Center, Loma Linda University, etc…
* It helps to improve the negative effects of STRESS by reducing the levels of the stress hormone Cortisol in the blood (Cortisol increases blood pressure and reduces immune responses)--so laughter will help to lower blood pressure!
* It boosts the IMMUNE SYSTEM by increasing the production of T-cells--which help the body fight infections-- and may help it protect us from cancer and heart disease.
* It's great aerobic exercise for the body--20-30 seconds of heavy laughter is = 3 mins of hard rowing and burns up to 400 calories/hour.
* It boosts stamina and overall health by causing the inner lining of blood vessels (the endothelium) to relax, increasing the flow of blood thereby increasing the oxygen supply to your cells
* It helps reduce pain and gives a sense of well being by releasing endorphins, the body’s painkiller hormones.
* All the muscles above your waist get a workout when you laugh, including giving an excellent internal massage to the digestive tract.
* It can improve sleep and reduces snoring because laughter is very good for the muscles of the soft palate and throat
* It makes you look better by giving a happy glow to your face & makes your eyes shine with a thin film of tears squeezed from the lachrymal sacs during the act of laughter
Our events will be held in Western Massachusetts and northern Connecticut. Laughter is the Best Medicine and Fun Meetup welcomes people of all physical abilities.