It's my favorite time of year, time for the Metropolitan Ministries Holiday Tent! Even though it's late notice, I was happy to be able to get a shift for our group!
If you have never helped in the Metropolitan Ministries Holiday Center you should try it at least once, it's a very rewarding experience! The Holiday Center is so much more than providing food and toys to struggling families, it is a time when the community comes together and brings hope to those who need it most. The past few years have been especially difficult for many people in the Tampa Bay area, and this is a great way to Lend a Hand for a big impact!
How we will LEND A HAND
We will help sort donated food and toys, help register clients, help the clients shop for their food or toys, or anywhere else we're needed! Placement is determined by need at the time we arrive. We will try to volunteer together as a group, but this is not always possible.
Please read the following 'Metro Min Holiday Volunteer Guidelines' before coming: Holiday Volunteer Guidelines
Schedule: 11:00am - 2:00pm - Please plan to stay the entire shift, until you are replaced by the next shift of volunteers. Meet the group at the volunteer check-in a few minutes early to meet each other and sign in with the event host. You do NOT need to sign in with Metro Min, the host will sign in the group.
What to bring:
• Please wear casual, comfortable clothes and closed-toed shoes (see the Volunteer Information doc referred to above for more details)
• Volunteer application if you have not volunteered with Metropolitan Ministries in the past 2 years (the link is in the Holiday Volunteer Guidelines)
• A warm smile!
• $6 donation if you would like a volunteer t-shirt you can wear in place of the traditional green apron (not required).
• Do NOT bring anything you cannot hold during the event, there is no secure storage area for bags and you should not carry them around while volunteering. Also keep your electronics put away.
• If you would like to donate more than your time, feel free to bring a couple of non-perishable food items or a new toy
Directions and Parking:
Click the link in the location above to see a map to the event location. See parking instructions in the Holiday Volunteer Guidelines.
Other Important Information:
If you are bringing a guest, please provide his/her name along with your RSVP.
This is a child-friendly event. You must monitor your child at all times, and be fully responsible for them. Please note if you will bring a child (and child's age) along with your RSVP, but do NOT include the child in your RSVP count.
Additional information about Lend a Hand events, such as RSVPing, bringing guests, waiting lists, and last-minute dropouts is located on the 'Terms of Membership' page, please familiarize yourself with our current policies and procedures: http://www.meetup.com/LendaHand/about/
Please consider this seriously before you RSVP, it is very important that we have an accurate count a couple of days in advance to provide to the organization. Last-minute drop-outs are difficult to replace and reflect badly on our organization.
Join us and open your heart to LEND A HAND!
How 'Metropolitan Ministries' benefits our community
Metropolitan Ministries serves 30,000 families in their holiday tent every year, providing holiday meals and toys for Christmas. For more information, visit their website: http://www.metromin.org