This 6.8 mile loop provides a good overview of the southwest half of this East Bay Regional Park. It includes rolling hills, forested canyons, and a 360-degree view at the top. Getting to this view required hiking up about 1300'. At this time of year we should also find spring wildflowers. Briones is a grazing park, so we may encounter cows (and cow patties). Dogs are allowed off leash, except in picnic areas, but must be under control at all times.
• From Hwy 24 in Orinda, take the Orinda Exit onto Camino Pablo, drive 2.2 miles
• Right on Bear Creek Road, drive 4.5 miles
• Right into the Bear Creek Valley entrance, go 0.3 miles
• Pass the entrance kiosk (there may be a $3 fee for parking +$2 per dog)
• Continue 0.1 mile to last parking area.