Point Reyes: Estero to Drakes Bay
This 7.8 mile out-and-back roller coaster trail has a cumulative elevation gain of 720’. We’ll hike through coastal scrub and pines to a bluff where we can see the three bays that feed into Drakes Estero. Low tide is in the afternoon, so we can probably hike all the way to Sunset Beach. Dogs are not permitted.
Getting there (from Bay Area):
• From 101 in Marin County, take San Anselmo / Sir Francis Drake Blvd exit (450B)
• Follow Sir Francis Drake west approximately 22 miles — passing through San Anselmo, Fairfax and Samuel P. Taylor State Park — until it intersects with Highway 1 at Olema.
• Turn right on Highway 1 and proceed north about 100 yards
• Take first left, at Bear Valley Road, and head west 2.2 miles
• Left when road ends onto Sir Francis Drake, drive 7.6 miles
• Left at sign labeled “Estero Trail”, drive one mile
• Trailhead will be on right side of the road. There is no fee.
Planned route: Estero Trail – Sunset Beach Trail – Estero Trail