This San Mateo county park is surrounded by Portola State Park, Sam MacDonald County Park and Memorial Park. We’ll do a seven-mile loop through wonderful shaded woods with roughly 1000’ elevation gain. We may see a bit of tar in Tarwater Creek on the Canyon trail.
Bring a lunch, plenty of water, and warm layers in case its foggy and cool. Heavy rain cancels, but not light rain. Meet at the park-n-ride lot at 9:15 am for car-pooling or meet at the trailhead by 10:15 am. Warning: there are no facilities at the trailhead!
Getting there (from Page Mill park-n-ride):
• The park-n-ride is just west of the Page Mill exit off I-280 in Palo Alto. Allow 45 minutes for the drive from here to the trailhead.
• Turn left (west) onto Page Mill Rd, drive 8.6 miles
• Go straight across Skyline, where Page Mill turns into Alpine Rd, drive 3.5 miles
• Slight right to stay on Alpine Rd, drive 0.4 miles
• Slight left onto Camp Pomponio Rd, drive 0.9 miles
• Meet at Tarwater trailhead parking lot.
Planned Route: Tarwater > Canyon > Bear Ridge > Pomponio > Tarwater
Here is a link to the park map: