This 10.5 mile hike takes a steep route up to Inverness Ridge (1300’ elevation gain) and then follows the ridge through forest to a bluff overlooking the ocean. We’ll walk along the coast to Arch Rock, and then return through buckeyes and mixed Douglas forest along Coast Creek. It’s about 60% shaded; wear layers, the weather is variable near the coast.
Getting there (from Bay Area):
• From 101 in Marin County, take San Anselmo / Sir Francis Drake Blvd exit (450B)
• Follow Sir Francis Drake west approximately 22 miles — passing through San Anselmo, Fairfax and Samuel P. Taylor State Park — until it intersects with Highway 1 at Olema.
• Turn right on Highway 1 and proceed north about 100 yards
• Take first left, at Bear Valley Road, and head west about 1/2 mile
• Turn left past red barn and proceed up left fork of the driveway to “Visitor Center Headquarters”. There is a restroom and water fountain here.
If coming from North Bay, you may want to take Point Reyes-Petaluma Road through Point Reyes Station. Consult a map for more details.
Planned route: Mt. Wittenberg Trail > Sky Trail > Coastal Trail > Bear Valley Trail