This six mile loop is all up and down, so bring hiking poles if you have them. We’ll hike down into the Tilden Park from a spot near the cars, then climb about 850’ to a Nike missile site where we’ll stop for a snack. This climb will take about one hour of steady walking. After a leisurely trek back down the hill on another trail, we climb back up to our starting point with a 500' rise. There is no restroom at the start, though we will pass a few during the hike.
After the hike, around 1:00, we’ll meet for a potluck lunch at Jill’s house. This is a half-mile from trailhead; the address will be provided to confirmed hikers. Anything that needs to be refrigerated can be delivered in advance or kept in a cooler in your car.
Plates, cups, napkins, and silverware will be provided. Please bring one item to share – an appetizer, main course, side dish, or salad, along with whatever serving utensil your dish needs. A few beverages and desserts would be nice too. If possible, label your dish so women with food sensitivities (e.g. gluten and dairy) will know what they can safely eat.
Getting there from I-80 East:
• Take Buchanan St exit, towards Albany
• Right on Buchanan, drive ½ mile
• Stay straight to go onto Marin Ave, drive 2 miles (slight left to stay on Marin Ave, and later straight after traffic circle)
• Left on Spruce St., drive 1 mile
• Park at intersection of Spruce, Grizzly Peak Blvd, and Wildcat canyon (one block past Alta Rd)