Less Wrong Buffalo Message Board › Rational Reading List (Harry Potter Style)

Rational Reading List (Harry Potter Style)

Bojidar K.
user 76430242
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 5
For any of you Harry Potter fans, I've always fancied myself a Ravenclaw. They were always the smart ones. (How Hermoine ever managed to avoid becoming a Ravenclaw, I will never know...) All the houses could be similarly boiled down to one or two defining characteristics as well: Ravenclaws are intelligent and witty, Gryffindors are bold and heroic, Slytherins are ambitious and kinda evil, and Hufflepuffs are...eh...loyal. (honestly, hufflepuffs were hardly described at all, they just mostly seemed pathetic).

Recently, I was reading Measure of Doubt and Jesse Galef put together a rather interesting rationalist's reading list for each house. Using the basic attributes of each house, he picked some books that a rationally trained house member might read.

"Ravenclaws would be interested in philosophy of mind, cognitive science, and mathematics; Gryffindors in combat, ethics, and democracy; Slytherins in persuasion, rhetoric, and political machination; and Hufflepuffs in productivity, happiness, and the game theory of cooperation."

All in all, the reading lists are pretty interesting. I definitely have a lot more of the Ravenclaw books, but I'm also interested in many of the books in the Slytherin and Hufflepuff selection. This whole thought experiment of rationality applied to the Harry Potter universe is inspired by Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It's a fun read and it's totally free!

Anyone interested in a Book Club?