Liberal Ladies Who Lunch (TM)--Ft Worth Message Board › Clearing Things Up for the Holidays

Clearing Things Up for the Holidays

Annette M.
amaxberry
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Dear Liberal Ladies,

I hope all of you are enjoying a wonderful holiday season full of love, joy and yummy food and drink.  It is my fervent wish in the new year to make it to an event at every chapter and meet you all--or as many as possible. We got to keep our President, so let's celebrate while we may!

Let me first say that I never expected my little lunch group to grow beyond about 5 people, and we are now at 948 members and 6 chapters in Texas!  It just goes to show that there are plenty of liberal women in Texas, and we love the company of other like-minded women to discuss politics and life with.

Aside from wishing you happy holidays, I wanted to address some concerns that have been brought my way and take some of the burden off our chapter organizers.  Please keep these guidelines in mind when attending or organizing events.

1) We are a social organization and not a networking organization.  Having said that, we do want to support liberal women and their businesses.  So please, don't make announcements at our meetings about your new weight loss patch or skin cream. This rule is hard and fast, because early on we had conservative networkers posing as liberal women just to find a new pool of potential customers.  If you have a business, and you want to arrange a home party or any other event and want to post it on our Meet Up site, you may do so, if you are a paid event organizer and if you don't abuse the privilege. We all love free food and drink, so if your event includes that, you can be sure you will have a few people there!

2) Each chapter is meant to have one regular lunch twice monthly.  Some cities are large enough to have two or even three, if they are far enough apart in location.  Please don't decide on your own to have a regular meet-up without talking to the entire group and your group organizer first.  We aren't trying to compete with one another, but we are trying to serve all our members.  In no case should there be two regular lunches in the same part of town and certainly not at the same time of day.  Please do try to find restaurants where everyone can find something to eat and bear in mind that if you have unusual dietary restrictions, it might be best to organize something on off days or evenings when others who have the same dietary restrictions or don't mind eating what you eat can get together. We want everyone to be happy and get something to eat!

3)Dues are unfortunately necessary. If you weren't aware of it, we have optional dues of $15 that are due twice yearly, in January and July.  If you pay your dues, you get to become an Event Organizer and host events anywhere you like and whenever you like (within our guidelines.) Want to see a chick flick? Organize it!  Want to take a road trip? Organize it!  Want to stage a naked sit in in front of the Capitol? Organize it (just not in the winter.)!  The world is your oyster.

Why do we ask you to pay dues?

A. Meet-up charges me $144 a year to run three groups.  I have to pay out of my own pocket.

B. I open new chapters.  I will be opening two in Oklahoma right after Christmas.  Whoo hoo! And hopefully I'll be opening one in Salt Lake City after that.

What happens if you don't pay your dues?

A. I have to pay for you.

B. Your Event Organizer status will be removed.

What if you can't pay dues?

A. Don't pay.  No one will come after you.

B. Ask for a scholarship, if you would like to be an Event Organizer

Will I be kicked out if I don't pay my dues?

A.  Absolutely not! We aren't a for profit organization.  We aren't even organized enough to be a not for profit organization.  You do what you feel is right for you.  But if you have the money, and you are attending meetings and getting benefits from belonging to this wonderful group, then it's kind of the right thing to do to help pay the expenses, don't you think?

4) A couple of chapters are not really growing or doing anything. That's really sad.  Maybe you don't have a local organizer who is doing her part to keep things going, or maybe everyone is just waiting on someone else to organize things.  If this is the case, please get in touch with me, and we will see what we can do to get your chapter moving and grooving.  No one should have to go without the lively community of liberal sisters!  Call me at 214-566-9590, and I will get you back on track and having fun again!  If your chapter just doesn't have the interest and isn't planning events, it will be closed down, so that we may open another chapter in an area where women are asking for one.

5) Men are sometimes welcome. Although we are strictly a women's organization, and our lunches are sacred, men are allowed to come to some events.  The guest list is decided upon by whoever is hosting the event, so if you decide to have a holiday pot luck at someone's home, it is that someone who gets to decide if men are invited.  In any case, the men should be liberal or willing to keep quiet about their political beliefs.  The last thing we want is some bombastic know-it-all trying to "school" women liberals.  Actually, it would be kind of sad and pathetic, and he might not come out alive. Liberal women aren't known for being shy.

6) I know I've said it before, but I really do want to have some sort of Liberal Ladies State-Wide Get Together in the coming year.  If you would like to be on the committee to organize that and help create a list of events and speakers, please get in touch with me.  I need all the help I can get.

Have a lovely holiday and a brilliant new year.

Annette Maxberry-Carrara, Founder

Liberal Ladies Who Lunch (TM)