Liberal Ladies Social Meetup Message Board › Looking for Reading or Viewing Materials to Stimulate Your Liberal Mind?

Looking for Reading or Viewing Materials to Stimulate Your Liberal Mind? Look Here!

Barbara
user 4130720
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 31
If you are looking for a good book to read or a movie to rent, this discussion is a list of offerings that other liberal ladies recommend. If you have read a good book/article or seen a good movie feel free to add to this discussion so other like-minded women can enjoy it as well.

This first post is the best of the things I have read and seen (sans the obvious more well-known films like Inconvenient Truth, Fahrenheit 9/11, Bowling for Columbine, etc), and a response to group members from Monday night’s dinner, who wanted the Thrive link and a listing for food documentaries, videos, and reading materials.

Thrive: What on Earth Will it Take (a documentary that reviews the global consolidation of power in nearly every aspect of our lives) Link

Food – Genetically Modified (GM)/Regulation/Health Issues/etc:
Documentaries: Food, Inc. (2008); Vegucated (2010); Food Matters (2008); SuperSize Me (2004)
Videos: Bill Moyers Interview with Vandana Shiva
Articles:
Monsantos - History of Corruption ad Deception
Biotech Companies Immunity from Federal Law

Documentaries: Paper Clips (2006); The Corporation (2005); Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005); Unborn in the USA (2007 - Note: Unborn in the USA is a pro-life documentary that reveals the tactics used to promote the pro-life agenda).

Internet Video:
Frontline (PBS) is a great documentary/info opportunity for liberal thinkers. Link

Bill Moyers (PBS) always offers an insightful program and his website not only offers full episode viewing, but has a current reading list that would appease any liberal wanting a good read.

TED – Ideas Worth Spreading: riveting talks by remarkable people, all less than 20 minutes. My favorite:
Jill Bolte Taylor's Stroke of Insight

Books (Non-fiction): The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism, by Naomi Klein; Spiral Dynamics, by Beck and Cowen; The People’s History of the United States, by Howard Zinn; Slavery by Another Name, by Douglas Blackmon; A Brief History of Everything, by Ken Wilber (note this one is a very difficult read); My Stroke of Insight, by Jill Bolte Taylor

Books (Fiction): The Color Purple by Alice Walker; The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer; The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck; the Conversation with God series by Neale Donald Walsch (great thoughts – atheists and liberals will like this man’s interpretation of god), and anything written by Jody Picoult or Fanny Flagg (all their writings are great character studies – Picoult offers great moral dilemmas, Flagg adds a sense of humor)
A former member
Post #: 1
This is from the Wednesday issue of the Ahwatukee Foothills news:

Ironwood Library at 4333 E. Chandler blvd (44th street and Chandler) will host a FREE showing of the independent feature film:

"The future of foods" about genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) and how they are associated with the food we eat.

On Saturday August 25th from 3 to 5 pm RSVP is required and people can sign up at www.gmo-freephoenix.com

Sharon Lee
Barbara
user 4130720
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 32
Actually from Vici - the first clip is the opening scene from The Newsroom Season 1 on HBO. I found the other Newsroom videos on YouTube, all worthy of viewing (propably in total about a half hour of time)

#1 America
Speech of Intent
Spreading Lies
Giffords
Guns & Obama
Rep - Cooperation
Teaparty Funding
A former member
Post #: 2
Since we were talking about food as a possible discussion for our September meeting, here are some books, documentaries, and websites I enjoy.

Books:

1. The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter - The authors examine three families' grocery-buying habits and the motivations behind those choices. The authors then explore where the food the families buy is coming from, how it is grown/raised, how workers are treated, health factors, cost comparisons, etc. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about where their food comes from.

2. In Defense of Mood: An Eater's Manifesto - Examines the food we eat and our attitudes about food and health.

Movies:

1. Food Inc - Looks at the corporate controlled food industry, with an especially telling look into meat, eggs, and dairy.

2. Forks Over Knives - Examines the health benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle.

Websites:

1. Food Inc and Forks Over Knives both have very helpful websites and Facebook pages, full of articles and links to help people find more healthful and humane food.

2. Take Part - Lots of food articles on the website and Facebook page (as well as articles about other areas of interest). They feature a weekly Meatless Monday recipe, and they always look and sound amazing.

3. Alternet - Features a lot of articles about the food industry, in particular Monsanto and food workers. Also talks about various food revolutions that are happening around the world.