Litereati - Adventures for Intelligent Foodies Message Board › Today's Brainstorming Session - The Recap

Today's Brainstorming Session - The Recap

Shawna Katie Bohn
user 12772222
Chicago, IL
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Thank you so much for coming to the brainstorming meeting today!  It was an absolute pleasure to see you all there, and I was literally (ha) blown away by your creativity and enthusiasm.   My apologies to those who couldn’t find a seat – next time we’ll reserve a bigger room and make sure we get it for as long as we need.  So thanks for your patience, and for sticking around afterwards so we could talk.

I‘ve spent the last hour or so reading through your written ideas, and I’m happy to report that we’re all pretty much on the same page and eager to get started.   Here’s where we stand:

We all agree that Litereati should be a quality publication with high standards.  We don’t want it to be just another food magazine, but instead a literary magazine that focuses on food and the way it touches every aspect of our lives, from social consciousness to familial relationships to sex and even death.  We want Litereati to be honest and a bit edgy and off the beaten publishing path.  I think Kate said it best:   “I think we should stay away from any theme that people could Google search and find a thousand blogs about.”  Exactly.   There was a lot of support for the “Culinary Sins” theme idea for our first issue, and you guys came up with some really brilliant ways to expand on that idea through words and images.

We all seemed to like the idea of breaking into teams, with each team containing artists, photographers, writers and editors who can brainstorm and work together.   And we agreed that we should have regular columns or departments for a consistent feel.  Finally, we all understand that we’ll be most likely starting out as an e-zine, but would like to upgrade to print as soon as financially feasible.

Here were some of the great ideas to consider:

·         Behind the scenes in the process of opening a new restaurant

·         Chocolate addiction

·         Family histories and recipes

·         Food travel / local (neighborhood) culinary maps

·         Ethnic adaptations to Holiday menus (Tandoori turkey?)

·         Social Justice

·         Foodie Fiction (Rachel had some AMAZING short story ideas!)

·         The link between food and disease

·         What’s “authentic” in the 21st century?

·         Devil’s Advocate: an issue devoted to those who don’t necessarily agree with traditional political beliefs (intriguing!)

·         Problematic relationships with food.

·         Comfort Food

·         The history of eating, and how the way we serve has changed over the centuries

·         How to eat locally in an urban area – can you eat entirely locally for a month?

·         Food trucks and food mobility – how food deserts affect communities

I propose we take a few days to let these ideas sink in, and to collect any sudden, brilliant flashes of inspiration you may have had on the way home.  Drop me an email with your thoughts, and I’ll hit you back later in the week with the official theme announcement and our next plan of action.

Again, thank you all for lending your amazing talent to Litereati Magazine.  Here’s to a great time creating something we can all be proud of!

All the best,

Shawna
Theresa G
theresa.tucson
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
So sorry to have missed it. Sounds like some great plans!