Tri-Valley Skeptics Meetup Message Board › sad commentary on atheism in our country ...

sad commentary on atheism in our country ...

Carolynn
user 12381503
Livermore, CA
Post #: 18
NPR: Would you vote for an atheist? (click on link to go to the article)
Robby
robby.tjahjono
Pleasanton, CA
Post #: 68
I think the saddest sentence in that article is this one:

Only one tested category didn't differ significantly from atheists when it came to distrust: rapists.

It made me laugh out loud when I first read it though, for some reason.
A former member
Post #: 4
Dr Lombrozo correctly identified that atheist in the US only numbers 5% of the population. Quote "Atheism is also more common in Australia than in the U.S. (10 percent versus 5 percent). "

The latest PEW report detailed break down actually puts the number of atheists at 2% & agnostics at 3% (see PEW report chart at http://www.pewforum.o...­ )

We should not be surprised with the "sad statistics" as atheists/agnostics are not only a tiny minority but is viewed with apprehension and distrust by the religious majority because we are the "anti god". If anyone in the group is interested, perhaps we can explore & try to understand in our meetings why the majority has an overwhelming propensity to silly beliefs regardless of education. Many are very successful such as Romney and hence they must be very smart. So what is it that makes them belief without question? Do they pick & choose when to reason and then ignore all other times? Do some presidents pretend to be religious in order to get elected?
Robert B.
user 41550182
Fremont, CA
Post #: 1
Don't forget that religion and other superstition is mediated by the reptilian brain, below the mammalian and definately below the rational PFC parts of our brains.