I hope you are doing well and staying cool!
It is unfortunate and annoying that we are dealing with an increasing number of no-shows (and I include last minute cancellations here, too, since I can't react to them properly) for our events.
It has a number of negative effects, least of which is upsetting the host (me for the most part):
- getting together in a larger group is more fun, disucssions are livelier, variety of poetry is larger, etc.
- we lose credibility with speakers we are inviting
- it makes planning a nightmare because I can't rely on your commitment
- I am spending money unnecessarily
- and it is rude and ticks me off - you wouldn't do that to a good friend!
I understand there are unforeseen ailments and family situations. But for the most part, no-shows just don't feel like coming that day.
Therefore, I am implementing new rules around no-shows.
1) for events where attendance is critical and/or have a seat limitation (e.g. Poet Local, Sharing Creativity, Exploratory Poet) we will track who doesn't show unexcused or with a last minute cancellation. After two incidents, that person will no longer be accepted for those types of events.
2) for events where exact attendance is not as critical (reading evenings, open mics, etc) we will track no-shows and if an event only consists of the generally unreliable sort we might cancel the event to save room rent or the hassle of bringing food; we will give you as much notice as you give us.
Enjoy the poems below - Thanks, Glenn!
Have a wonderful weekend!
AngelikaWaiting for Godot or an Audience
Tables and chairs arranged
to facilitate discussion,
hors d?oeuvres laid out
for eye appeal,
host practicing introduction
in her head,
speaker reviewing notes,
host counting chairs ?
one per RSVP,
speaker dancing a jig,
speaker riding a unicycle
while juggling cheese skewers,
speaker juggling tables
and the host,
speaker going home.
Glenn CassidyMy Meetup Agenda
Today I?ll dig another
Panama Canal with my
bare hands and a spoon.
Today I?ll take a rocket
all the way to Mars and back
and get elected President
of the United States.
Today I?ll discover
room temperature fusion
and solve the global
Today I?ll attend Living Poetry
like I promised.