The 2013 Living Poetry Society book club selections feature a little something for everyone: a poetry craft book, a classic poet, the National Book Award Winner, a North Carolina poet, an international poet, and a book by the US Poet Laureate. Here are the books (library availability noted in parentheses):
- January: A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver (C, D, U)
- February: Collected Poems of Lucille Clifton,[masked] by Lucille Clifton (D, O, U, W)
- March: Shakespeare's sonnets by William Shakespeare (C, O, U, W; D has a collection of sonnets under a different title)
- April: The Wellspring by Sharon Olds (D, U, W)
- May: Bewilderment by David Ferry - National Book Award Winner (C, D, O, U)
- June: The Really Short Poems of A.R. Ammons by A.R. Ammons - North Carolina Poet (C, D, U)
- July & August: SUMMER BREAK
- September: Complete Poems,[masked] by e.e. cummings (C, O, U, W; D has 95 Poems by e.e. cummings)
- October: New and Collected Poems,[masked] by Czeslaw Milosz (C, D, U, W; O has another Milosz collection)
- November: Time and Materials by Robert Haas (C, D, U, W)
- December: TBD by the US Poet Laureate
(Library codes: C = Chapel Hill Public Library; D = Durham County; O = Orange County; U = UNC Chapel Hill; W = Wake County).
The book club meets on the 2nd Sunday of the month at the Raleigh Review loft in the Five Points neighborhood of Raleigh. I hope to see you there!