addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London "Artist's Way" Meetup Message Board › Artists Way Group Autumn 2013 - Discussion Thread

Artists Way Group Autumn 2013 - Discussion Thread

Cindy
user 108932792
London, GB
Post #: 1
(Still working out what the best tools are to use for this. Am new to Meetup and don't yet know its tools very well. Anyway - I thought I'd start this thread so the new Artist's Way group can post links and thoughts and stuff and share with each other.)
Cindy
user 108932792
London, GB
Post #: 2
To kick things off - I found this link today, about left and right brains, thought it might be of interest:

http://io9.com/592359...­
Cindy
user 108932792
London, GB
Post #: 3
"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."

(probably not by Goethe - but inspirational anyway :)
A former member
Thanks Cindy, Wow, I really liked the article's line that the left hemisphere is "inventive and interpreting", whilst the right brain is "truthful and literal." Very fascinating. I am looking forward to sharing notes with everyone on Weds about how we've got on. I am doing my morning pages but have yet to do my 'artists date'. Looking forward to seeing you and all of us on Weds. BW Amanda
Cindy
user 108932792
London, GB
Post #: 4
Our conversation yesterday reminded me of this Ira Glass Quote:

“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”
Gill D.
user 69762882
London, GB
Hello. I'm gill. Sorry I've not made the meetings - & now I have decided to commit to something else on Wednesdays ! (All part of the same journey) .. I am working the book though and have started week three and would be happy to communicate with anyone on this.

Re this thread - there is a fabulous book "a stroke of insight" about a woman who loses all left brain functioning and is left in the right brain - which sounds blissful - except she can't walk write speak etc. A fabulous book a brilliant journey - and short too ;-) gill
Drbob B.
drbob
London, GB
loved, just loved , the ira glass quote. esp. the bit about how some quit cos it just dont get good enuff quick enuff. thanks for posting it.
one will never know how important, meaningful, a quote can be for some1
Drbob B.
drbob
London, GB
Post #: 2
Our conversation yesterday reminded me of this Ira Glass Quote:

“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”
brilliant. thanx for posting this.
there shud b a whole area of study devoted to y creatives dont do that which makes them happiest, what they're supposed to do, y they self sabotage, block, waste, and thence to despair. and worse for all around them.
things like ur post could click, undo the blockages.
Cindy
user 108932792
London, GB
Post #: 5
Hello. I'm gill. Sorry I've not made the meetings - & now I have decided to commit to something else on Wednesdays ! (All part of the same journey) .. I am working the book though and have started week three and would be happy to communicate with anyone on this.

Re this thread - there is a fabulous book "a stroke of insight" about a woman who loses all left brain functioning and is left in the right brain - which sounds blissful - except she can't walk write speak etc. A fabulous book a brilliant journey - and short too ;-) gill

cool. sounds interesting. thanks for the pointer. will check it out :)